front wheel bolts merc steel wheels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rockape
80-90 Mem No: 0

front wheel bolts merc steel wheels

Post by Rockape »

hi
can you use standard t25 wheel bolts when fitting merc steel wheels to the front I won't be using spacers with them.Also is it ok to use the rear wheel nuts or are new ones required for merc steel wheels I have looked on wiki and can't find a topic about it cheers ? :?
T25 panel van aaz

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: front wheel bolts merc steel wheels

Post by slowcoach »

I don't think so. Merc wheels use a radius of 12 for the ball seat, vw standard steels use r14. So it's too big a seat to sit well in the wheel. I got replacements to fit my Merc steels a couple of years ago. Brickwerks and eBay will sort you out
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Wheel guide in the Wiki sates the following:-

'How do you know if your wheels require the small ball seat Wheel Nuts/Bolts or if the standard Wheel Nuts/Bolts will work?
If you had to drill out the holes of your factory Mercedes wheels (not aftermarket) to 14 mm, you need the small ball seat Nuts/Bolts.
Mercedes wheels with 14mm holes can use the standard VW T25 Nuts/Bolts.'

I have Merc steels and they are fitted using the standard T25 wheel nuts/bolts, they seat fine, don't sit 'proud' of the wheel and no issues to report.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

muttleypup wrote: If you had to drill out the holes of your factory Mercedes wheels (not aftermarket) to 14 mm, you need the small ball seat Nuts/Bolts.
Mercedes wheels with 14mm holes can use the standard VW T25 Nuts/Bolts.'

I can't comment fully but when I trial fitted 15" merc steels they did not need drilling. The radius on the standard bolts/buts seemed a good match to the seats on the rim.
When the van returns I will use the standard and keep a close eye on them for the first few hundred miles.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

A few people have spoken too are running standard t25 bolts and nuts on standard merc steelies with 14mm holes. they say have done for years with no issues whether it's right or not I don't know. As a test I have used a colour dye on the standard bolt and nuts tightend them up and undone the nuts and bolts from seats on the wheels and the dye left on the seat looks to be making good contact with the rim seats. I've now got the wheels on using the standard bolts and nuts and all seems well and just keep checking them for the next few week .
T25 panel van aaz