New tyres up to 3 years old.

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

New tyres up to 3 years old.

Post by itchyfeet »

Bought 14 tyres in the last 5 years most are under a year old but two I just got were 2 years old, when we questioned it they pointed us to their terms that state they can be stored for up to three years and still deemed new.

Seems wromg to me when the life of a tyre is supposed to be 6 years amd rubber starts to harden from manufacture.

Asda Tyres this was, I wondef if cut price tyre dealers are buying in bulk to get prices down and storing them, perhaps yoi would get newer if you paid a few quid more from thd regular fitters?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: New tyres up to 3 years old.

Post by clift_d »

Most of the manufacturer guidance I've seen gives 5 years from manufacture as the expected life of a tyre, after which you need to inspect and regularly,

Since I'd be surprised if Asda's terms of trading had anything to do with tyre safety - I'm guessing they're about commercial advantage, in which case they effectively sold you 60% of a tyre.

Maybe next time you need to take your custom elsewhere and look at mailorder suppliers like Camskill, Blackcircles, Pneus, etc, and get the tyres sent to a local garage who are prepared to fit them for you for a few quid per wheel.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

clift_d wrote: Maybe next time you need to take your custom elsewhere and look at mailorder suppliers like Camskill, Blackcircles, Pneus, etc, and get the tyres sent to a local garage who are prepared to fit them for you for a few quid per wheel.

Asda tyres are the same business model as Blackcircles and camskill with local fitters, I suspect they are all at it.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

Asda is actually a different model. Other internet suppliers the fitters just get the fitting fee.
Asda tyres, the garage gets the internet generated sale.
The asda tyres website is run by the tyre wholesaler who the garage have to get the tyres from. (Often the garages usual wholesalers anyway)
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

clift_d wrote: in which case they effectively sold you 60% of a tyre.

But of course that doesn't apply if you are doing average consumer mileage of 12 - 14k ... the backs will be worn out in 2 - 3 years the fronts not far behind and well before they 'go off'.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I was told by my insurance co that average mileage is now under 10,000 miles
must be all those cars parked up that hardly move.

You are right of course that for a normal vehicle this isn't a problem but this is one of those cars thats parked up and hardly moves, under 2000 miles a year.
T25s are often in this catagory hence the heads up my T25 is about 3000 a year.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Be interested to know what owners are getting out of their tyres: fronts 30K, rears 20K, what you reckon?
Even wear of course..5K can do a lot of damage to a tyre if the tracking or camber is out..

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

My guess is average owner does probably 3k a year and runs on any old tyres so probably won't know the average life of a tyre
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

itchyfeet wrote:Bought 14 tyres in the last 5 years most are under a year old but two I just got were 2 years old, when we questioned it they pointed us to their terms that state they can be stored for up to three years and still deemed new.

Seems wromg to me when the life of a tyre is supposed to be 6 years amd rubber starts to harden from manufacture.

Asda Tyres this was, I wondef if cut price tyre dealers are buying in bulk to get prices down and storing them, perhaps yoi would get newer if you paid a few quid more from thd regular fitters?
Storage of newly maufactured tyres is key here.
At Goodyear they were kept out of the sun, sidewalls dark and in a cool environment as required by ISO9000.
Non European tyres are subjected to these tight standards, but I doubt very much they are ahered to.
Goodyear tyres were destroyed after 5 years on the shelf even in these conditions.
There is, and has been a glut of tyres since 2004.
Asia simply added to the mountain.
European branded tyres tend to be supply and demand as the production methods are so flexible these days
When I worked in the industry it took 11hrs to produce one tyre from raw materials to car.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)