Steel Mercedes et37 15" 6.5j DONT FIT!

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

GTIAlex
80-90 Mem No: 0

Steel Mercedes et37 15" 6.5j DONT FIT!

Post by GTIAlex »

Image20170402_184105 by Alex Robinson, on Flickr
Having an issue with some Mercedes et37 15" 6.5j steel wheels that I have just tried to fit to my van.
These are fitted with AT tyres.
Image20170331_175325 by Alex Robinson, on Flickr
Rears, no problem.
Drivers front, no problem.
Nearside front...not so much
The distance is less on the nearside front between the wheel and the suspension, and also the tyre itself has caught on the wishbone. This is most noticable also because the wheel weights clunk on the suspension.
This only seems to occur going round LEFT hand bends.
Image20170403_171137 (1) by Alex Robinson, on Flickr
Image20170403_171311 (1) by Alex Robinson, on Flickr
The van is not lowered or modified in any other way.

Obviously the nearside is cambered over, so went and got this check and adjusted as much as possible (didn't cost me a penny)
Image20170404_180152 by Alex Robinson, on Flickr

The problem still persists.

Bit stumped as to where to go from here.
Posted on the FB page and have generally asked around and have got a variety of opinions but wanted to post on here as well.
All the research suggests these should fit no problem (just as the drivers side does) so there must be something amiss.

Imaget25-front-sus1 by Alex Robinson, on Flickr

muttleypup

Re: Steel Mercedes et37 15" 6.5j DONT FIT!

Post by muttleypup »

i had a similar issue when i fitted 7 x 16 (et33) Merc steels, though mine was just the tyre near touching the wishbone. Turned out to be a replacement wishbone (pattern part) that had a longer 'nose' on it and coupe of sharp smacks to dress it over sorted it! The neg camber as i also found out doesnt affect the clearance but i guess possible worn bushes might make it sit differently so even if camber is set correct the geometry might still be out? Possibly a worn upper ball joint? Only other thing i can think would be to check that you have matching discs/hubs, if hub is slightly shorter the wheel would sit further in.

There is a good wheel guide on here that shows ideal sizes / ET http://archive.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic ... b862d02aa2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

muttleypup wrote:i had a similar issue when i fitted 7 x 16 (et33) Merc steels, though mine was just the tyre near touching the wishbone. Turned out to be a replacement wishbone (pattern part) that had a longer 'nose' on it and coupe of sharp smacks to dress it over sorted it! The neg camber as i also found out doesnt affect the clearance but i guess possible worn bushes might make it sit differently so even if camber is set correct the geometry might still be out? Possibly a worn upper ball joint? Only other thing i can think would be to check that you have matching discs/hubs, if hub is slightly shorter the wheel would sit further in.

There is a good wheel guide on here that shows ideal sizes / ET http://archive.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic ... b862d02aa2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that, a few things I hadn't considered; especially the different wishbone/disc/hubs idea.

Replacing the ball joints is first on my list of things to try in a vain attempt to solve it. Although this side has had a recent (last 10k) upper ball joint but apparently if that isn't seated correctly, this will also cause an issue.

Think will have to get both fronts off tomorrow and start comparing both sides closely.

Easy solution is to fit 5mm spacers but want to fix the actual cause rather than mask the symptoms

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

I don't think in your case it's the ball joint as you say the wheel itself is closer to the suspension/stub axle which suggests somehow the mounting face of the hub is further in. if it was the ball joint the tyre would possibly foul the wishbone/suspension but there is no way (?) for the wheel to move closer to the stub axle upright since it's mounted on it. Discs and bearings changed around 1985 so maybe you have mismatched discs, if that's possible to do, or maybe just a pattern part fitted one side.
Stupid question but have you tried swapping the wheels round? and do they all have the same Merc part number stamped?

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

Ah yes I see what you are getting at now.
I will check all those things tonight, get the tape measure out and report back.
Will also have a GOOD check of the wheels altho I have swapped one round

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Just wondered if you resolved the issue? I know mine drove me nuts trying to figure it out

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

ET25 is about the only merc wheel that just bolts on, with no need for spacers, mods or whacks with a lump hammer.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

As Cov Kid says, spacer's should solve your problem but be aware that you'll need to fit them with extra long wheel bolts.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

GTIAlex

Post by GTIAlex »

Just to update this

Fitted spacers with the longer bolts and all was well with the world