Securing stainless hubcaps?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Birdman
80-90 Mem No: 15800

Securing stainless hubcaps?

Post by Birdman »

I've just had my steel wheels powder coated and have splashed out on some nice new stainless steel hubcaps. They seem to clip on ok with the exception of one, which is slightly looser. I was going to put some tape on the inner lip of the cap to help tighten the fit, or maybe on the bulge in the rim that they grip on to?
I was wondering if anybody had any better suggestions, or advice? The caps were fairly pricy and I want to make sure the don't go flying off!
1988 Autosleeper Hightop 1.9 Petrol

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Securing stainless hubcaps?

Post by CJH »

Could you try squashing the hubcap a little, so it's slightly oval, and then mounting it with the slightly smaller diameter aligned with one of the three lugs on the rim?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

tape isn't going to last, as said try bending them a bit, I bought a set a few months back and I agree they were not all as great fit but they are still there.

Look great don't they, was sick of rusty caps.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Thanks for the replies. They're not exactly loose to the point of falling off, just don't quite seem as tight as the previous ones. It's reassuring yours are the same Itchy, and haven't yet fell off! I didn't worry so much with the cheaper rusty ones on, I'll try a bit of gentle bending! :D
Yes, they do look a lot better and pretty sweet with my freshly coated wheels!

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Birdman wrote:Thanks for the replies. They're not exactly loose to the point of falling off, just don't quite seem as tight as the previous ones. It's reassuring yours are the same Itchy, and haven't yet fell off! I didn't worry so much with the cheaper rusty ones on, I'll try a bit of gentle bending! :D
Yes, they do look a lot better and pretty sweet with my freshly coated wheels!

You could try moving them around, perhaps you got the largest cap on the smallest wheel.
The way I see it is worst case you loose one its 25 quid, not the end of the world. Fit them, move on, go for a drive, or a beer :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

IndigoSteve
80-90 Mem No: 14473

Post by IndigoSteve »

I'd go with bending them slightly. I got my wheels powder coated recently and got new hubcaps. All good till the wheel bearing exploded and one of the hub caps came flying off along with the hub cover. Couldn't stop the traffic before some numpty ran over it! Hammered it back into shape and it fits much tighter now[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris7ian
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by chris7ian »

Any pics? Can I ask where you got the wheels powdercoated and approximate cost? I've been meaning to powdercoat my (frankly shameful) winter wheels for a couple of years now.
I've seen a few companies advertising their services with and without an exchange basis. Thanks
1989 2.1 MV Auto

Birdman

Post by Birdman »

chris7ian wrote:Any pics? Can I ask where you got the wheels powdercoated and approximate cost? I've been meaning to powdercoat my (frankly shameful) winter wheels for a couple of years now.
I've seen a few companies advertising their services with and without an exchange basis. Thanks
I got them done by these guys, local to me (Bristol): http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was £35 per wheel. I had to take them the wheel without the tyres in situ. I'll try and post some pics when I get chance.

chris7ian
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by chris7ian »

Birdman wrote:
chris7ian wrote:Any pics? Can I ask where you got the wheels powdercoated and approximate cost? I've been meaning to powdercoat my (frankly shameful) winter wheels for a couple of years now.
I got them done by these guys, local to me (Bristol): http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was £35 per wheel. I had to take them the wheel without the tyres in situ. I'll try and post some pics when I get chance.

£35 sounds reasonable :) Looking forward to pics (...and eventually getting mine done!!) Thanks
1989 2.1 MV Auto