Tyre choices

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Squeezebox
80-90 Mem No: 14442

Tyre choices

Post by Squeezebox »

Hi all,

I have only ever brought cheap or secondhand tyres, but van has been standing for three years and whilst it did get through MOT, I feel its time to reward it with four new tyres (the MOT man said the same too...and noted it as an "advisory" !).

Options via local suppliers and via Blackcircles (who I have never used before):

Hankook, Kumbo, BF Goodrich, Dunlop, Pirelli and Goodyear....all within £10 of each other (although x 4 that does make a difference).

Ive read the specs and I dont know what to pick, it seems like I need one of each (maybe that's the way to go :lol: )

Anyone have any experience or any thoughts on these, or other makes?

Wheels are the original steel ones, with 185 R14s on them.

I do occasionally load the van, beyond "camper use" and I do not go fast...so looking for long life and "utility" above anything too technical.

Previous criteria was only that they were legal and stayed inflated so I guess any of the above will be a different leauge to what I am used to!

Many thanks for any ideas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1990 2.1 Petrol. Tin Top.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Tyre choices

Post by bigherb »

Avon AV4 are competitively priced with good traction on sticky campsites and UK made.
http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brand ... orAllSizes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Squeezebox
80-90 Mem No: 14442

Post by Squeezebox »

Thanks Bigherb,

I hadnt spotted those. They look just what I am looking for.

(Might need to get a Tesco clubcard too while I am at it)

Much appreciated :D

I see the description reads..

......It has a reinforced carcass construction to enable the carrying of heavy loads, as well as a very robust rubber compound on the sidewall to help minimize the sort of kerbing damage that is inevitable when driving a van.

....."kerbing damage" ? :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1990 2.1 Petrol. Tin Top.

M4tt_1
80-90 Mem No: 15107

Post by M4tt_1 »

I've just put these on my syncro and very pleased so far. Can't comment on longevity yet as they've probably only done 400 miles.

Image[/URL]

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... ID=froogle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1986, RHD EJ22 Syncro