Jacking advice

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevelane
80-90 Mem No: 0

Jacking advice

Post by stevelane »

Not had my T25 for long. I need to remove each of the wheels, one at a time, and leave the van on axel stands overnight whilst I paint each one.

Firstly, is my two ton trolley jack sufficient for the job and secondly, best place to jack in each four corners and place the axel stand?
1984 T25 Devon Moonraker - Tatty but love it

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: Jacking advice

Post by Winchweight »

A 2T jack should be fine, although it may not have enough height. Jack on the jacking points and axle stands on the chassis cross member don't go under the van without both in place.

What are the stands rated at? I upgraded my cheap Halfords ones to 6T professional stands which are cheap as chips in Machine Mart, Screwfix etc.

I personally wouldn't leave it supported on just the Jack as they vary in quality and you wouldn't want to find your pride and joy on the floor in the morning.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

Winchweight wrote:A 2T jack should be fine, although it may not have enough height. Jack on the jacking points and axle stands on the chassis cross member don't go under the van without both in place.

What are the stands rated at? I upgraded my cheap Halfords ones to 6T professional stands which are cheap as chips in Machine Mart, Screwfix etc.

I personally wouldn't leave it supported on just the Jack as they vary in quality and you wouldn't want to find your pride and joy on the floor in the morning.

Good point - I'm not sure about the rating of the stands but they came in a Halfords set with the two ton jack and I seem to remember they were the same - I have four of them so can easily double up to make sure

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

My axle stands are fine, they state 2T on them but you were spot on that my trolley jack is no where near high enough. I'm searching on eBay for high lift trolley jack, what sort of lift do I need?

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

You could use a standard VW T25 Jack. It's a wind up type that fits into the jacking points. They're pretty good.

I might have a spare...

Sealy make a high lift bottle Jack that'd work too.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

Winchweight wrote:You could use a standard VW T25 Jack. It's a wind up type that fits into the jacking points. They're pretty good.

I might have a spare...

Thank you, I can't believe after a couple of days of messing around I've just found the original jack in a canvass bag under the bed!!! Glad I hadn't bought one now lol

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

stevelane wrote:My axle stands are fine, they state 2T on them but you were spot on that my trolley jack is no where near high enough. I'm searching on eBay for high lift trolley jack, what sort of lift do I need?
You don't need a high lift jack just jack it up under the suspension arms and then put the axle stands under the jacking points.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

crafter/sprinter bottle jacks are perfect and weight rated
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Winchweight wrote:You could use a standard VW T25 Jack. It's a wind up type that fits into the jacking points. They're pretty good.

I might have a spare...

Jesus, I'd never recommend that without a safety warning first, what if the jp's are rotten? :ok

I'm talking from experience but I was expecting it to happen so wasn't shocked that as I turned the handle, the van remained firmly on its wheels!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

what2do wrote:

I might have a spare...

Jesus, I'd never recommend that without a safety warning first, what if the jp's are rotten? :ok

I'm talking from experience but I was expecting it to happen so wasn't shocked that as I turned the handle, the van remained firmly on its wheels!

The same guy had already told me not to get underneath without the axel stands in place, which I wouldn't of anyway so I don't think he needs to go any further than that, it's kinda covered

what2do

Post by what2do »

I meant it tongue in cheek. However, I'd recommend you have a good poke around checking for corrosion first. If it's suspect, use a trolley/bottle Jack instead.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

what2do wrote:I meant it tongue in cheek. However, I'd recommend you have a good poke around checking for corrosion first. If it's suspect, use a trolley/bottle Jack instead.

Fair enough, sorry if I took it any other way, things don't always come across on text in the way they are meant.

Luckily the jacking points were clean and tidy, had a good poke around and they were solid. Feel much mow confident using them than I do with a trolley jack

what2do

Post by what2do »

No problem, text format is often misinterpreted. To be honest, I believe most people would feel more confident using a hydraulic Jack rather than the wind up ones. The original one that came with the van is obviously fit for purpose but there's less risk of any mishaps with a trolley. I've got a few Elliot and lake bottle jacks bought off eBay, I've a bit of a fascination with them as they are top quality and built in an era when made in Britain stood for something.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

what2do wrote:No problem, text format is often misinterpreted. To be honest, I believe most people would feel more confident using a hydraulic Jack rather than the wind up ones. The original one that came with the van is obviously fit for purpose but there's less risk of any mishaps with a trolley. I've got a few Elliot and lake bottle jacks bought off eBay, I've a bit of a fascination with them as they are top quality and built in an era when made in Britain stood for something.

I usually do until I borrowed one when I got the van, it came down so much quicker than I expected and almost trapped my shoulder underneath - Just made me a little weary. I also have a classic mini and have never used the jacking points on that, always use the trolley. Having said that me and three friends have also lifted it onto ramps so its a different animal lol

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

I use a 2 ton trolley jack under the suspension but use a piece of hardwood ie 5" x1" sandwiched between to (spread the load) and limit any damage to the metal parts.