Help with safe wheels swap - have kids

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

Re: Help with safe wheels swap - have kids

Post by Middle29 »

No not lowered, I can't see any marks in the wheel arches. Clearance looks ok. I've read elsewhere on here that you will get rubbing with 215 / 75 / 15s. But for some a straight bolt on with no issues so maybe condition of springs.

If they do bottom out what generally comes into contact first? I'm unsure if the mechanics

I think I need to rule out the wheels first as the front suspension needs work and has had some already so kind of guess work.

Interestingly as this thread has safety in the title, the two carat back wheels I could undo with the wheel brace by hand, so they weren't on too tight...
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

Well I took it for a long drive the other night as had to go somewhere. I then went for a speed bump specific drive yesterday and couldn't recreate the noise :?

Hit the same bumps fairly hard and no problems at all. So good news but slightly bothersome not knowing what it was.

I was looking at the springs last night - does it matter how they sit in relation to each other? I looked at the manual and can see there is a little notch for the end of the spring to sit in. When I look at mine they look differently compressed to each other. Two bits of the Spring are nearly touching but on one side that's at the back on the other it's at the front. Is that normal or could one not be seated incorrectly?. Might be nothing...

jasd1978
80-90 Mem No: 9634

Post by jasd1978 »

Take some pictures and put them up.
1989, 1.9 dg 4 Speed Panel Van with Gash windows cut in the side.

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

Just in case anyone comes back to this thread (I noticed I never followed it up) I never found out what made the bad noise. Wishbones were loose so could have been that and I then replaced a lot of suspension bushes and the problem went away.