spacer behind the drum

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickeyw92
80-90 Mem No: 0

spacer behind the drum

Post by Mickeyw92 »

hi guys, im new to the forum so please be gentle!

I recently bought a 1986 t25 autosleeper trident, and i absolutely love it. however it has a few niggles i thought i would address. there is a horrible pulsing on the brake pedal under any sort of braking, so after trying it on an MOT testing rolling road/brake tester, i discovered it is coming from the back end. not good!

after buying some brand new drums and shoes (and wheel bearings for good measure), i set to work to do the job. I removed the alloys, removed the wheel spacer, removed the drum and lo and behold there was a wheel spacer INSIDE the drum

knowing full well that this is not right, i left them out and tried to reassemble (just in case these were the cause of the pulsing) and the drum rubs on the backplate. just to settle my own mind, i tried a new drum on (identical to the old one) and it still catches.

Im quite mechanically minded, but i just cannot understand the logic behind this, nor whats gone wrong to require this level of bodgery.

can anyone suggest what i might be missing?

Thanks in advance
M.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: spacer behind the drum

Post by bigherb »

Well no it shouldn't have a spacer behind the drum. The problem is more likely to be in the hub carrier possibly the wrong bearing spacer has been fitted possibly one from a bay window or the inner bearing has not been pushed fully home or the circlip has not been fitted and the bearing moved. You really have to strip it down and check everything.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Mickeyw92

Post by Mickeyw92 »

Thanks for the reply. My pal is breaking his t25 so I am having the bearing carriers/drive flanges off him (my offside drive flange is knacked) so I will strip down and do at the same time. Are the late bay spacers interchangeable?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Mickeyw92 wrote: Are the late bay spacers interchangeable?
Late bay are, early bays are different.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Mickeyw92

Post by Mickeyw92 »

Ok, the plot thickens.

After realising that the offside rear bearing is knackered, ive also discovered the hub carrier is broken as well! Do you think it sounds feasible that someone has put the spacer behind the drum so that the drum doesnt foul the backplate with all the play of the goosed bearing and carrier?
Cheers

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

It could just be that your backplates are past it. Mine were rusted pretty bad. There's not much clearance between drum and backplate so doesn't take much for it to rub.
What's wrong with the bearing carrier?
Oh and when you're fitting the new bearings it's recommended to put some "bearing fit" on them to stop the outer race from spinning in the carrier. Show us photos. What does this spacer look like? Is there also a spacer inside the carrier between the inner and outer bearings?
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Mickeyw92

Post by Mickeyw92 »

Okay! So todays work, put a new (intact) bearing carrier on, new drums, new wheel bearings and the spacers inside the drum is no longer required to clear the backplates! Success! Thanks for the advice