Paint Code for Standard Steel Wheels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cherrydocs
80-90 Mem No: 8692

Paint Code for Standard Steel Wheels

Post by cherrydocs »

I'm looking to get my standard rims refinished and was wondering if anyone knows the correct paint code for the silver they came in. The next question is paint or powder coat, and I'd also be interested to hear your comments on whether I should go with a silver that is a couple of shades darker than the original, bearing in mind that new paint against an old van could stand out and look a bit obvious.
Tin Top 1.9 DG Caravelle GL - a bit of 1980's luxury!

gary1998
80-90 Mem No: 7974

Re: Paint Code for Standard Steel Wheels

Post by gary1998 »

i've some galvanized looked good
1989 1y powered panel van camper
1980 1y powerd project
http://www.eireball.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I just did mine grey...mixed some black and white rustoleum together until I was happy with it...
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

Can't find a paint code but I have one unused 80's wheel as a spare and the finish is a pretty flat silver-grey without much metallic sparkle. I rubbed down my rims by hand, cleaned with thinners, masked the tyres and gave them 3 coats of Hammerite smooth silver spray from a rattle-can. The finish is very close to the original wheel and has proved tough over the last year of daily use and easy-to-clean. With chrome caps in place the look is smart enough for me.

Powder-coating would be nice but it means acquiring a spare set of wheels and tyres if you want to keep the van on the road, the hassle or expense of removing and refitting tyres, delivering and recovering the wheels for coating and the costs of the process itself. Doing it at home will get 90% of the improvement for 10% of the cost and you can do one wheel at a time to spread out the job if you prefer.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed

cherrydocs
80-90 Mem No: 8692

Post by cherrydocs »

Thanks for the info, I'll give a spray can a go at home first I think. With the hubcap and chrome ring covering most of the wheel I'm probably being a bit fussy anyway. At 10% of the cost I've little to loose!
Tin Top 1.9 DG Caravelle GL - a bit of 1980's luxury!