Hubcaps

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Simon james
80-90 Mem No: 0

Hubcaps

Post by Simon james »

Hi there
Ive got a 1981 westy can anyone tell me where to by new hubcaps or should i hane my old ones re chromed
I have heard you can have them in stainless
Dont know where you would find these
Thanks simon

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Hubcaps

Post by bigherb »

Most of the replacement hub caps are poor quality chrome even the genuine VW ones are not as good as they used to be.

You can get stainless ones, they come and go into stock from the main suppliers like JK and Megabug, just have to wait for the next container load to arrive.

Some on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Stainless- ... 3f53cd2270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not quite as shiny as the chrome ones but virtually fit and forget just need a wipe over when you wash the van.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

You can buy new oe chromed ones from Germany.
Iirc they were £34 each.
.. on sale at Busfest this year.
As Big herb suggests, the stainless caps are much better.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Or rover p6 stainless
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

I bought some chromed after-market caps from ebay last year, they aren't going to last long judging by the tiny pits already visible but they'll do for a while yet. The set I took off are on my garage walls - aged to perfection and would look great on a ratty van!

what I'd really like are some of the later 80's flat painted ones with the slightly different profile as fitted to my van originally like the ones from VW Heritage... no rust or chrome peel to worry about and really easy to respray down the line, they'd last for ever (if my wife refrained from denting them on high kerbs).

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/2516011 ... wwodfCIGMg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only saw an original 1985 brochure from Devon recently and realised these were standard on their campers, though some versions had some amazingly 80's plastic disc designs in the photos - probably no great shame that they are all lost in action but an entertaining rarity for anyone who could track a set down.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed