Spare wheel carrier

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Omegaman
80-90 Mem No: 14437

Spare wheel carrier

Post by Omegaman »

Hello all,

This might sound a bit of a noddy question but I am new to T25's.

last night I swapped my spare wheel for one that was fitted (which I think has a slightly wider tyre but is labelled 185 R14 the same as the other steel wheels) and now the replaced tyre wheel won't go up into the spare wheel carrier under the cab, so having a look at the carrier it looks bent (looks perfectly formed - not damaged) at the back and there is a box which is stopping the wheel going up. Now I noticed the other day when I checked the spare wheel (now fitted) that it was difficult to put back up then.

Therefore the questions are as follows: -

1. Has anyone else had issues putting standard wheels inside the carrier
2. Is the upwardly raised surface to the rear of the carrier standard?
3. Can anyone show me what their carrier looks like? I can only find small images which don't give me the idea online.

I will try and get pictures up to explain better. but thank you in advance

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Spare wheel carrier

Post by marlinowner »

If you look on eBay there are a couple for sale with pictures. I have a 195r14 tyre which fits in carrier OK. There is a square box over the gear linkage under the van, the spare wheel fits around it, wheel has to be the right way around, ie outside of wheel at bottom.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Omegaman

Post by Omegaman »

Yup, look like it is very bent :shock:

Does anyone know how to remove the carrier so that I can unbend? It appears to be attached at a hinge point but they carrier wires don't seem to want to budge, so before I apply excess pressure, can these be separated here?

Omegaman

Post by Omegaman »

Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove the standard underslung spare wheel carrier?

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Take the small clips out , punch out the rear of each wire strap and swivel front around cos its hook shaped into front beam, cant remember if van has to be jacked up , SUPPORT on stands before getting under.Carrier will drop down when wire straps are removed. VW used 2 different size carriers, larger for the alloy wheels.They have different size wire straps aswell.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Omegaman wrote: and there is a box which is stopping the wheel going up.
As marlin says the wheel only fits in the spare wheel carrier one way.
The tyre valve has to be pointing towards the ground otherwise the wheel centre naive will hit the gearlever box.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Omegaman wrote:Yup, look like it is very bent :shock:

Does anyone know how to remove the carrier so that I can unbend? It appears to be attached at a hinge point but they carrier wires don't seem to want to budge, so before I apply excess pressure, can these be separated here?
Are you sure its actually bent ? Try putting the wheel in the carrier as mentioned above before taking the carrier out.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon