All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gmc
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 - 19" wheels

Post by gmc »

Simple question please.......

Do 19" wheels fit under the arches?

They are VW/Audi alloys so I'm assuming the centre bore isn't an issue.

They are ET35 and my Doka will be lowered (not yet, restoration underway).

Thanks!

bradders89
80-90 Mem No: 10541

Re: T25 - 19" wheels

Post by bradders89 »

I had a set of 19s on my van and was lowered 55mm. They were 9.5j on the back and 8.5 on the front with a Et30 with spacers to clear suspension fron and back. Never had any issues going along. Only thing was the door fouled the rear tyre but it would push past.This can be sorted with modifing the door hinge.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Thanks for that!!

PICKLEBRANTON

Post by PICKLEBRANTON »

Hi

So if I buy 19 x 8 et 42 what spaces would I need? If the ride height is standard would these fit without fouling?
Thanks in advance

g60steve
Trader

Post by g60steve »

PICKLEBRANTON wrote:Hi

So if I buy 19 x 8 et 42 what spaces would I need? If the ride height is standard would these fit without fouling?
Thanks in advance

15mm spacers but in all honesty they will look gash and the van will handle even worse!
Remember with that size wheel you will be running 35 series tyres...not good on a 2 ton van,not good at all!

I've fitted 15's,16's,17's and 18's to T25's and there's no way whatsoever I'd even consider 19's....the 18's I fitted lasted less than a month due to the ride being terrible.

17's is the maximum I'd fit as then there's more tyre sidewall which means a better,more comfier ride.
16's are the perfect choice for handling and comfort.

By all means fit 19's but you'll be wasting your money! :ok
There's no 'r' in bought!

faggie

Post by faggie »

i am running 18s and the ride is no worse than 16 or 17 inch rims i had before

g60steve
Trader

Post by g60steve »

faggie wrote:i am running 18s and the ride is no worse than 16 or 17 inch rims i had before

Are you using 225/40/18's?

Dubmaster77
80-90 Mem No: 11369

Post by Dubmaster77 »

g60steve wrote:

Thanks in advance

15mm spacers but in all honesty they will look gash and the van will handle even worse!
Both very subjective view points unless you intend to time the van around a circuit?

Remember with that size wheel you will be running 35 series tyres...not good on a 2 ton van,not good at all! How do you know his van ways 2 tons? Mine certainly does not?

I've fitted 15's,16's,17's and 18's to T25's and there's no way whatsoever I'd even consider 19's....the 18's I fitted lasted less than a month due to the ride being terrible.

17's is the maximum I'd fit as then there's more tyre sidewall which means a better,more comfier ride.
Pure conjecture!

By all means fit 19's but you'll be wasting your money!

So? :ok

I'm sure people just hang around this forum so they can spout rubbish about the weight of vans and how we should all be running load rated tyres. My van ways less than a modern passat, I do not have half a ton of camping gear in it. I do not carry tons of building equipment around with me, I imagine the large percent of craftsmen left in this country are driving round in twenty year old vans. They have t5's with range rover wheels on!

To the OP yes they will go on. Fit em an f^€k em!

g60steve
Trader

Re: T25 - 19

Post by g60steve »

Dubmaster77 wrote:
g60steve wrote:

Thanks in advance

Both very subjective view points unless you intend to time the van around a circuit?

Remember with that size wheel you will be running 35 series tyres...not good on a 2 ton van,not good at all! How do you know his van ways 2 tons? Mine certainly does not?

Pure conjecture!

By all means fit 19's but you'll be wasting your money!

So? :ok

I'm sure people just hang around this forum so they can spout rubbish about the weight of vans and how we should all be running load rated tyres. My van ways less than a modern passat, I do not have half a ton of camping gear in it. I do not carry tons of building equipment around with me, I imagine the large percent of craftsmen left in this country are driving round in twenty year old vans. They have t5's with range rover wheels on!

There's an old phrase about not being able to educate pork(or a college lecturer... :shock: ) but here we go again.....

Where do I start...
Dubmaster77 wrote: How do you know his van ways 2 tons? Mine certainly does not?

You are very correct it doesn't weigh 2 tons empty(no T25 does!) but it can weigh over 2 ton(nearly 2.5 ton to be precise) so the wheels and tyres should be able to carry the MAXIMUM weight the van can carry.
The link below from this very forum may help....
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/images/Vehic ... eights.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g60steve wrote:17's is the maximum I'd fit as then there's more tyre sidewall which means a better,more comfier ride.

Dubmaster77 wrote:Pure conjecture!

No..just many many years of experience modifying these vans. :ok

Dubmaster77 wrote:I'm sure people just hang around this forum so they can spout rubbish about the weight of vans and how we should all be running load rated tyres. My van ways less than a modern passat, I do not have half a ton of camping gear in it. I do not carry tons of building equipment around with me, I imagine the large percent of craftsmen left in this country are driving round in twenty year old vans. They have t5's with range rover wheels on!

Your van may well weigh(not way....) less(empty) than a Passat but VW didn't supply the Passat with tyres designed to carry the weight of an empty Passat did they?
No...they infact supplied it with tyres that can handle the MAXIMUM weight the car can carry...the very same as VW did for a T25 and every other vehicle they manufactured...are you getting this?
As for the T5 and Range Rover wheel "statement"...Range Rover alloys are rated to over 900kgs each which is more than any T5 camper can ever weigh..fact!!

Dubmaster77 wrote:To the OP yes they will go on. Fit em an f^€k em!

I look forward to the OP giving you a big pat on the back when they've done just that....

:roll:

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

car wheels on a van..

schitt happens
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dubmaster77
80-90 Mem No: 11369

Post by Dubmaster77 »

No it seems pork cannot be "educated" any more than pigs cannot be trained to be any thing other than swine.

Fortunately I have never let education get in the way of applying reason or logic to a situation.

The point I was making has frankly been very well reinforced by your rather patronising reply, I make it clear I seek no recognition from the OP, it's just boring reading these venomous posts laced with opinion, when the guy asked a straight question.

I'm sure you and mr Rev are very happy with yourselves, especially with that little picture which regularly gets trotted out. That is not a t25 in the picture.

g60steve
Trader

Re: T25 - 19

Post by g60steve »

Dubmaster77 wrote:
Fortunately I have never let education get in the way of applying reason or logic to a situation.

So you're way of applying reason and logic to this situation is....

Dubmaster77 wrote:

:?

Dubmaster77 wrote:The point I was making has frankly been very well reinforced by your rather patronising reply, I make it clear I seek no recognition from the OP, it's just boring reading these venomous posts laced with opinion, when the guy asked a straight question.

Do you lecture at college purely on your opinion on the matter in question or after years of learning about it?

As stated earlier...when it comes to fitting non standard alloys to a van that can weigh as much as 2.5 ton then I will give accurate advice....not an opinion...and that advice is given from knowledge I have learnt over many many years.

I know if I was new to T25's and wanting to fit different wheels I know which reply I'd listen to ....and it wouldn't be the one that said "Fit em an f^€k em!".... :roll:

nobbyfox
80-90 Mem No: 9991

Post by nobbyfox »

I think the picture that Kevtherev posted says it all really. Properly rated wheels and tyres are a must.
Dubmaster77, many people on here have been working/trading (g60steve) with T25's for years and there opinions are highly regarded.
Ignore the advice at your peril.
Westfalia pop-top 1990 1.6JX

PICKLEBRANTON

Post by PICKLEBRANTON »

Whats the maximum tyre wheel combination that can be fitted with a standard suspension height. I currently have 16" 7j rims and am guessing van 80 profile tyres. I am trying to achieve a better ratio as have a big engine that revs high

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

crazydiamond
80-90 Mem No: 173

Post by crazydiamond »

g60steve knows what he is talking about. And in my opinion he is dead right about sizes. I run 16 x 7.5 merc toliman 215/60/16/99v on the devon 2wd and 16 x 7 merc tolliman with 205/80/16 106 Kumho A/T tyres on the syncro 4wd. no problems at all. they both ride superbly. and look just right, but you can fit whatever you feel is ok, its only sensible advice being offered. :ok
1982 2 litre Aircooled Devon
1988 2.1 Syncro ex ambulance
Member 173 and Syncronaught 10