Painting steel wheels

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonydata
80-90 Mem No: 11975

Painting steel wheels

Post by tonydata »

Hi all,

Looking to repaint/spray my original steel wheels in a nice shiny new colour so the new chrome hub camps sit nicely... There's a few colour options, the usual... black, silver, white... I'm thinking silver would suit my van best (white).

Anyone have any advice/paint codes/warnings before I start masking the tyres up? Anyone know of the original colour they may have come in? Van ID is in my sig...

Plus, if anyone has any pics/links of any jobs they've done themselves that would sweet too :ok

Cheers
Tony D
1986 Transporter 1.9 w/c Tin Top

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Painting steel wheels

Post by kevtherev »

I painted mine in two pack.... with the tyres removed it was so much easier
your steel wheels would have been silver.

AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

skippymoss
80-90 Mem No: 9718

Post by skippymoss »

Get someone to pop the tyres off. Got my tyres off and on and rebalanced for a fiver a corner. Loads easier.

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

skippymoss wrote:Get someone to pop the tyres off. Got my tyres off and on and rebalanced for a fiver a corner. Loads easier.

Think tyres off and spray is the way to go, cheers :ok

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

kevtherev wrote:I painted mine in two pack.... with the tyres removed it was so much easier
your steel wheels would have been silver.

:ok

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

I'm in the process of painting up the spare steelies that a very generous person on this forum gave me. I'm not keeping the tyres they came with, but thought i'd mask them up anyway, as it felt wrong not too. I spent a few hours with a wire brush drill attachment cleaning off the rust and various old paint remnants, cleaned with white spirit and sprayed them with hammerite "straight to rust". I needed about a can and a half.

To be honest, the finish isn't very good, it's a bit rough and if I did it again (which I will for the steelies with winter tyres currently on the van), I might just use normal hammerite and a brush, but they look OK from a distance, and certainly better than the combination of rust and different paintjobs they used to be - I reckon with some new hubcaps they will look good from about 5 or 6 metres away :wink:

Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

yeah, with the tyres off you can clean them up nicely if you pop them into the bead blasters
I was charged a fiver a wheel
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

discipleofsketch wrote:I'm in the process of painting up the spare steelies that a very generous person on this forum gave me. I'm not keeping the tyres they came with, but thought i'd mask them up anyway, as it felt wrong not too. I spent a few hours with a wire brush drill attachment cleaning off the rust and various old paint remnants, cleaned with white spirit and sprayed them with hammerite "straight to rust". I needed about a can and a half.

To be honest, the finish isn't very good, it's a bit rough and if I did it again (which I will for the steelies with winter tyres currently on the van), I might just use normal hammerite and a brush, but they look OK from a distance, and certainly better than the combination of rust and different paintjobs they used to be - I reckon with some new hubcaps they will look good from about 5 or 6 metres away :wink:

"I reckon with some new hubcaps they will look good from about 5 or 6 metres away" :D :ok

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

kevtherev wrote:yeah, with the tyres off you can clean them up nicely if you pop them into the bead blasters

That's that then, tyres off, sand blast, re paint silver... lovely, cheers chaps :ok

cleagarr
80-90 Mem No: 11523

Post by cleagarr »

tonydata wrote:
kevtherev wrote:yeah, with the tyres off you can clean them up nicely if you pop them into the bead blasters

That's that then, tyres off, sand blast, re paint silver... lovely, cheers chaps :ok

..... and then post pictures of the whole process on here. (Please!) :ok
All I ask is for the chance to prove that money won't make me happy.

1989 Transporter 1.6TD original engine.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Just cleaned mine up, gave them a rub down, trated rust spots, masked them and sprayed them with a Halfords rattle can, easy.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Allanw »

Hammerite smooth Silver looks awesome. I painted my new merc steels with it, and they look like an OEM silver steel would look. It's soft-ish for a week or so after painting, so wait before fitting caps and have the tyre shop be extra careful! Once it's hard, it's HARD
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

cleagarr wrote:
tonydata wrote:

..... and then post pictures of the whole process on here. (Please!) :ok

Will see what I can do!

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

itchyfeet wrote:Just cleaned mine up, gave them a rub down, trated rust spots, masked them and sprayed them with a Halfords rattle can, easy.

:ok

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

Allanw wrote:Hammerite smooth Silver looks awesome. I painted my new merc steels with it, and they look like an OEM silver steel would look. It's soft-ish for a week or so after painting, so wait before fitting caps and have the tyre shop be extra careful! Once it's hard, it's HARD

Hmmmmm, another option, I think this may be what I might do, seems easy enough, and cheap... :P

How many cans did you use Allan? 400ml can on the bay, £8... You got a pic of the finish?