Westfalia canvas replacement

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Re: Westfalia canvas replacement

Post by PetenAli »

This link was on another thread. Makes the job look easy but shows the sequence and adds to the bank of info on this thread..

http://vimeo.com/12165017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

Bamba
80-90 Mem No: 8566

Post by Bamba »

Great job & great pics, can i ask what you used to clean the inside of the pop top as mine needs doing & i can see on one of the pics the patch on yours that had been cleaned looked great

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

can i ask what you used to clean the inside of the pop top as mine needs doing & i can see on one of the pics the patch on yours that had been cleaned looked great

We used some stuff called Astonish Mould & Mildew Remover. Its made in the UK by London Oil Refining Company Ltd, http://www.astonishcleaners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; however Ali reckons that any mould and mildew remover will do the job. It was sprayed on, left for a few minutes and then brushed over with a soft brush (an old tooth brush for the fiddly bits). Then any excess was wiped off with a soft cloth. You need to be careful though to avoid wrecking the flock type lining on the inside of the roof.

Ali recommends goggles and a mask given the contents which include chlorine based bleaching agents, anionic surfactants and sodium hydroxide. A 750ml (25 fl oz) spray bottle just about did the job and also didn't leave the camper smelling like a swimming pool although we did leave it airing out for several hours. Definately a worthwhile job for the result.

Syncronaut #171

Bamba
80-90 Mem No: 8566

Post by Bamba »

:ok

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Or Miltons sterilizing fluid.....
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

We tried Miltons first but could only get hold of the tablets and couldn't work out the right concentration. The Westfalia info website http://www.westfaliat3.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says 1:10 I think if using the fluid.

Syncronaut #171

doivey
80-90 Mem No: 9436

Post by doivey »

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I am considering changing my canvas.

Although I cant find anywhere on JK the £150 canvas.

All I can find is http://www.justkampers.com/shop/westfal ... 18857.html which is craazy price. Have the others gone ?

Wandering if it would be better to get someone else to make and fit one for me ?

Any ideas who can do that in and around Bristol ?

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Yes indeed....the days of the JK £150 canvas seemed to be behind us....for those that had bad experiences, that may not be a bad thing...personally I think it's a real shame as the one I recieved wasn't bad at all and has proven excellent value for money.
I can only assume that given all the bad press and umpteen returns of early ill fitting canvasses that Just Kampers have deemed it necessary to go up market and find a higher quality canvas manufacturer.
It seems that now they have a German supplier so these are likely to be better spec than those supplied in the past....at over double the price, they certainly need to be!.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

doivey
80-90 Mem No: 9436

Post by doivey »

Any opinions on this one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T25-Westfalia ... 807wt_1037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

California Dreamin

For early type fitment....I would have said unlikely to be the best fitting or quality and I seem to remember someone on the forum not having very good results with a cheap £99 ebay canvas (was it from this company?) hmmmmm.
Then again at that price it might be worth the gamble all depends on what type of a person you are..up for a challenge? or just wants one that fits first time without problems?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

LL435
80-90 Mem No: 9007

Post by LL435 »

Hi,
I'm looking to replace our Westy roof canvas & saw this thread. I spoke to JustKampers today and they said that the new supplier for the cheaper version will have them in JK by middle of June. Around £180 although I cant remember exact price. The ones on the site at the moment are the German replica OEM ones I think.

I also looked at GoWesty in California - they have several different types. The acrylic one looks interesting & more waterproof apparently. Although not cheap - but would it be worth the investment? It would be a leap of faith to get one imported from the U.S. though I guess.

Does anybody have any experience on whether you'd have to pay import duty etc etc??

Choices, choices !?!?
T25 Westy + "Bobby" springer + "Chipper" sprocker

California Dreamin

Just going on what I've read in the distant past, the GoWesty Acrylic canvas is the dogs gonads and very good quality indeed....however, from what I remember, those that have imported ended up paying a fortune when everything was added on top...including import tax.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

LL435
80-90 Mem No: 9007

Post by LL435 »

Thanks Martin.
I'd wondered about the import tax thing. I think I'm going to play safe and buy in the UK instead. It might not get here in time for our Fance trip anyway.
The JK new "own brand" cheaper version sounds favourite when it's in stock in middle of June. They've got a new supplier apparently & the money saved can go on other stuff instead.
Ta.
Lew.
T25 Westy + "Bobby" springer + "Chipper" sprocker

Mikeferg
80-90 Mem No: 7656

Post by Mikeferg »

Ive recently bought one of there £99 canvases from eBay. Ive not fitted it yet but i'm hoping to get round to fitting it in the next couple of weeks (I'll post some pics when its done). I'm not looking forward to doing it, its taller that my original canvas (by approximately 150-250mm) so I'll need to adjust it and pull it tight from the top! I spoke to the supplier about this and I was told that it's made like that so it can be double or triple folded at the top to give it more strength. The old canvas is out so I've been considering doing this first and hemming it, taking the measurements from the original. I fear that once its been done this way there would be no going back if I make a mistake and it be just slightly short. :(

Has anyone else had this issue with these £99 ebay specials!! Any tips would be great. :D

California Dreamin

Well my personal experience with a JK canvas wasn't a bad one...a little thin perhaps but on the whole not a bad fit and reasonably well made for the price.
I know canvasses have been JK's achilliese heal in the past and so with SO MANY PAST issues I cannot believe that they would make the same mistakes again with this NEW product...although TBH they don't have a very good track record.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV