Westfalia canvas replacement

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Re: Westfalia canvas replacement

Post by PetenAli »

What Martin says ^^^^

Ours was a JK one from last year and so far seems OK although the mossie net in one of the windows has a little tear in it and it was mega tight to fit - I could only just open the roof when we first fitted it! Now its better.

If I was going to do it again (and I hope I don't have to) I would probably bite the bullet and get a German one. The Go Westy one does seem good but my experience of buying stuff from the States is that you have to factor in a massive amount extra for taxes on both sides of the Atlantic and shipping as well.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

LL435
80-90 Mem No: 9007

Post by LL435 »

Well, JK were out of stock, GoWesty were too scarey (taxes?!) so went for Gunzl German one. As cheap as JK German one but in stock. Fast delivery. Just got to fit it tomorrow now before next weeks France trip. Hmmm - some research needed or just dive in & have a go. :ok
T25 Westy + "Bobby" springer + "Chipper" sprocker

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

LL435 wrote:Well, JK were out of stock, GoWesty were too scarey (taxes?!) so went for Gunzl German one. As cheap as JK German one but in stock. Fast delivery. Just got to fit it tomorrow now before next weeks France trip. Hmmm - some research needed or just dive in & have a go. :ok

When you get it sussed....you could nip round and show me how to get on....

Where about in staffs are you.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

LL435
80-90 Mem No: 9007

Post by LL435 »

Yep, no problem. I'm in Hednesford.
T25 Westy + "Bobby" springer + "Chipper" sprocker

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Heere is a fitting video from us, http://campervanculture.com/2014/08/fit ... of-canvas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Good video Jed. Here's another one as well... http://vimeo.com/12165017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just one question tho... How long did it take you? It took me and Ali a weekend (although that included cleaning the inside of the roof which had got a bit mouldy). We are still proud that we did it without a cross word between us! :rofl
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

jc_geddes

Post by jc_geddes »

Jed, which Go westy canvas was that? They do 3 or 4 different versions from what I can see. How was the fit - it looks kind of loose in the video.

Cheers

John

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

It took most of the afternoon because we were filming it as well so had to keep stopping. If I were to do one now without stopping it would take between 3-4 hours. It is the new Synthetic one that GoWesty do it looks a bit more loose because of the fabric being synthetic so isn't as stretchy as the other type. That said the material is much thicker and harder wearing and it does shrink a bit when it gets wet if its like the one on my van. Because it is thicker it stays darker and warmer in the roof. Anyones kid won't be putting their foot through the side like what happened with my old one thats for sure :oops:

We have a pallet full of GoWesty stuff leaving today and we added some of those fine canvases if anyone wants one. Should be here in two weeks.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Looks good Jed...big baggy? quality is there for sure.

Keep up the good work. :ok

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Post by Bison535 »

Ive just checked through this Forum Thread from 2010 - 11 and its now 2017, wow, how time flies ! My main point is that the Posts made then are still relevant today and have inspired me to do my own canvas replacement within the next few weeks.
Thanks to all the contributors for excellent comments and pictures :ok