High-top, pop-top, what top?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PureBristle
80-90 Mem No: 15560

High-top, pop-top, what top?

Post by PureBristle »

Greetings all from a newbie.

I've been lurking around these parts for a long while and I've learnt loads about the T25 world from you knowledgeable lot. Thank you! :D

I'm hoping to buy myself a T25 this winter (more choice of vans for sale when the summer's over perhaps?). I need a van that will sleep 2 adults and 2 fairly tall boys aged 6 and 9 years. I'd love to hear opinions on the different tops and interior space generally.

We've camped in a hired T5 with a Westfalia-style wedge shaped pop-top (kids loved it) so that conversion is currently top of my list. I suppose my main question is whether some hightops are a bit of squeeze for bigger kids? Anything else I should think about for a family-friendly van?

Thanks!
Last edited by PureBristle on 23 Sep 2019, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

JimmysBob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: High-top, pop-top, what top?

Post by JimmysBob »

Hey, im also new(ish) here too but we have just been through the same debate (all be it with a much smaller kiddo) what we went for is the side elevating pop top, it an easily sleeps 2 up to down, to top would be a little short for say 6ft+ but i sleep in there at the moment and its very comfy and when you pop up the top its very spacious, like a 2 man pop up tent!

also take a look at a viking pop-top! tons of room there but very rare, i don't care for high tops for sleeping, they are amazing for 2 people plus 'stuff' but it makes me feel claustrophobic just thinking of sleeping up there!

anyway good luck in your hunt, make sure you read all of the buying advice, and perhaps take someone with you who is mechanically minding

:ok
/=========================================>

JimmysBob,

1985 1.7KY Diesel Van, Leamington Spa

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

We've got a Westy hightop and it's great. Some of the positives - all the extra storage space up top which you retain even while you travel, ease of camp setup with the kids, quieter and warmer due to insulation, plus the ability to standup most of the time. A couple of extra benefits - you don't lose your upstairs sleeping area in really foul weather when a pop top might need to be collapsed, and in terms of the stealth thing, any stuff you do store up top cannot be seen from outside even if you leave the curtains open. In terms of comfort, I regularly sleep up top alongside one or other of our kids age 10 and 12 and I'm near 6ft, so I wouldn't worry about that unless you have lots of basketball players in your family.

On the downside, apart from the obvious thing about not being able to get into garages, etc, which we only very occasionally would love to have, there are a few other compromises worth mentioning. The access to the top, particularly in terms of getting up there with the bed extended is a bit more constricted than a pop top would be. Also high tops can develop some pretty grim issues with corrosion at the interface between the fibreglass roof and the van body if the gutter sealant goes or the skylights leak. Finally, if you travel a lot on the continent you may get charged tolls for a commercial vehicle rather than a car due to the extra height.

On balance though I don't think we could be persuaded to change to a pop top.

1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

I got a high top put on my van when we had the little one.its great extra storage and sleeping.i agree its not massive upstairs but I sleep up there for now until the little is a bit older.ain benefit is stand up all the time,extra storage and warmer and whiter in bad weather(use the van alot in winter).downside reduced fuel economy and driving when Wi cy is more interesting,didn't notice any significant performance loss due to extra weight and drag.
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Post by Michael4 »

I'll just put in a word for a solid sided pop top. Compact and insulated with plenty of space and windows upstairs.

Perhaps a few cms higher than a canvas sided one when lowered. If looking at one makes sure the struts are doing their stuff!
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top