Leisuredrive hi top relining

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Leisuredrive hi top relining

Post by 100leelee »

Hi
So next up is insulating/ lining the hi top.
How have others done this or how should it be done?
It was just carpeted when I bought the van.
Will def put some insulation roll up there. Main question is the carpet lining.. will this be OK glued to the foil insulation or should the roof be lined with ply?

Would also like lights up there, so am talking myself into battens/ ply lining..!

Thanks

andrew882
80-90 Mem No: 17319

Re: Leisuredrive hi top relining

Post by andrew882 »

Did mine last winter with ply, covered with the perforated fabric used in the cab. Lightened it up really well and made it feel a lot more spacious.

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

andrew882 wrote:Did mine last winter with ply, covered with the perforated fabric used in the cab. Lightened it up really well and made it feel a lot more spacious.

Hi
Did you glue battens to the fibreglass shell, then screw the ply to those?
What thickness ply did you use?

Thanks!!

Lee

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

Mine was just done with 10mm foil back self adhesive foam insulation stuck into the high top and then the carpet spray glued over the top to the foil side. The carpet sticks to the foil absolutely fine (the spray glue is mega sticky). The only problem I had is that the self adhesive insulation needed some extra help (with more spray glue) in some places. It likes a really clean surface (i.e painted metal) and in some spots where the old carpet was removed from the fibreglass it was less than optimal. :roll:
1988 1.9 DG

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

Re: the lights I just bonded ply strips or rings to the places where I wanted to screw them with PU adhesive (sikaflex) and taped the cables in place before I glued the carpet up.
1988 1.9 DG

andrew882

Post by andrew882 »

Hey Lee,

I screwed the ply lining to pads that were already fitted, although some were the worse for wear due to a leak around the skylight that the previous owner had told me about. I replaced them, fixing them with Sikaflex to the fibreglass. I did consider fixing the new roof panels with Sikaflex too, in order to get a cleaner look, but in the end went for screws and covered the heads with plastic caps. This means that if I ever need to get access to deal with any issues I don't have to scrap the panels.

The ply I used was 2mm (I think), but the thinner the better, as you need a bit of flexibility to 'urtcher' it into place!

I'm pretty happy with the result

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

andrew882 wrote:Hey Lee,

I screwed the ply lining to pads that were already fitted, although some were the worse for wear due to a leak around the skylight that the previous owner had told me about. I replaced them, fixing them with Sikaflex to the fibreglass. I did consider fixing the new roof panels with Sikaflex too, in order to get a cleaner look, but in the end went for screws and covered the heads with plastic caps. This means that if I ever need to get access to deal with any issues I don't have to scrap the panels.

The ply I used was 2mm (I think), but the thinner the better, as you need a bit of flexibility to 'urtcher' it into place!

I'm pretty happy with the result

That’s what I’ve done, half way through, will post some pics later.. thanks for the advice

andrew882

Post by andrew882 »

No worries, glad it's going well.

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

andrew882 wrote:No worries, glad it's going well.
It taken far longer than I expected.. insulating, new ply, etc
Got the new units to go in, gotta finish the roof and carpet first..