Roof rack on a high top?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fun.
80-90 Mem No: 16678

Roof rack on a high top?

Post by Fun. »

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone has ever added roof racks to a high top? My kids are getting bigger and bigger and I the thought crossed my mind that I could possibly mount a roof tent. I realise this may cause issues in high winds etc but figured I'd ask. Also know that a good drive away awning would do the job.

Any feedback on the idea appreciated.

Fun.
_
Water Cooled 1983 Petrol T25
She's had 21 previous owners, I'm no. 22
She's now named Daisy

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Roof rack on a high top?

Post by Mr Bean »

When my second Bedford CF finally succumbed to the rust monster back in 2006 I did seriously consider a couple of options like finding a long flat roofed estate car (Oh no not one of those Volvo's :shock: :rofl ) and building a demountable unfolding or tented lightweight sleeping compartment for the roof. But then my T25 Leisure drive high top turned up and I forgot all about that scheme started my VW long term obsolete vehicle restoration and mechanics course.

Recently however I fitted a new pair of rear door gas struts to my T25 and although ordering the standard rather than the high strength units, I was surprised that the bugger nearly lifts me off the ground when I open it. Then when I had some tinkering to do I strapped it down horizontally to give a bit of shelter from the drizzle of rain and it occurred to me that it could form part of a semi rigid tent like device which could provide extra room certainly for a child or two. A bit of ingenious thinking could result in something with a floor, the solid - probably wooden components could be stowed (in my case at least) under the rear of the bed area.

Got to say though that a drive away awning can be advantageous in terms of saving your pitch . Ideally one with some flexibility on the mating up process Although we did arrive back at our pitch in Germany a number of years ago to find our carefully placed table and chairs etc, had been to taken over by a rather wild group of hippy types and after an awkward few moments decided to accept their offer of welcome home drinks and join in the fun. Others might have not been so accommodating...
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Pinkythelabrat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Pinkythelabrat »

I’m sure that there is a rear hatch hung Kampa tent which does as you describe. Except it reaches the ground.

I too fitted the standard gas lifts and it’s definitely almost picked med up a time or two. You need to be prepared! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

The reason I chose a side awning in the end was because the roof tent idea meant my daughter would be near my head and she’s a noisy sleeper

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun.

Post by Fun. »

Have decided to can the idea for the foreseeable future and look into an awning - either sun canopy or something a little bit better with an air frame. I think the following kind of frame would need custom built https://pin.it/uf2zirz3cugpnr in order to take the weight of the roof tent. Side awning seems more in the spirit of things.

Thanks for getting back to me.
_
She's now named Daisy

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

I have a set of these in my hightop and they work very well with adjustable height settings. I would think they would take the weight of a roof tent

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rac ... 0-_-420000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E D I T:
Says they take a Max weight of 100kg

So maybe 2 small kids?

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Da dan »

Shame you have a high top. I saw this at the weekend and seemed to work really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun.

Post by Fun. »

That's pretty cool! I'd live to do something similar but the high top seems prohibitive :cry:
_
She's now named Daisy