Bed: Alternative to R&R hinges?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

conor2469
80-90 Mem No: 14305

Bed: Alternative to R&R hinges?

Post by conor2469 »

I am in the process of building a bed in the back of my t25. I already have furniture fitted along the side. There is a massive LPG tank under my rear bench seat. I have constructed a timber framed box to cover this. The tank is the full width from the wall to the furniture. Thus I cannot use R&R hinges as they have to protrude down the side of the tank which there is no space to allow.

I noticed some professionally built vans had a bed box with slide out bed that didn't use R&R hinges, was it autosleeper? Maybe Holdsworth?
Does anyone have any photos of how the slide out works, how it is supported at the end when slid out in bed mode and how it is supported when upright in seat mode?

Thanks in advance.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Bed: Alternative to R&R hinges?

Post by AngeloEvs »

Autohomes (Karisma, Kameo, Komet, etc,) use a different method to make the bed that does not use R n R hinges. You may get info using google search but I can take a few pics tomorrow if that helps.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

conor2469

Post by conor2469 »

Hey, yeah that would be great, thanks so much. I googled the autohomes rear seat and bed and thats exactly the type of thing Im looking for.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Leisuredrive also use a better method than R&R
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Sorry for the delay, here are a few pics that may help you.

You will need four of the hinges as shown, these are approx 10mm Dia mild steel Rod and all have the same shape and probably not too difficult to form. I can measure one up if it helps.

The plastic securing blocks are pretty much similar to those used on knock down furniture but with a hole drilled to allow the rods to pass through them. Originally these are screwed into place but I changed the screws for nut and bolts.

You will notice the the bed is supported by a fold out leg and the corner rests a section of the furniture but you could use two fold out legs.

The horizontal part of the bed secures to the front face that encloses the tank and the other two hinges are secured to a section that is a simple frame .

Normally in a Autohomes there is a double drawer in the rear which is palced over the engine hatch is level with the bed in the down position. I dont have that and just have a section of foam to make the height up rather than the drawers.

ImageAutohome Bed 1 by Angelo Evans, on Flickr

ImageAutohomes Bed 2 by Angelo Evans, on Flickr

Pinkythelabrat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Pinkythelabrat »

Mine is an auto homes Kameo and similar.

I replaced two of the plastic blocks that were missing by drilling out those furniture corner blocks and making the hole in them a little wider as you say.

The back of my seat has latches on either side like those you find on snibbed doors and a handle in the middle to draw them in. I like your bolts design - seems a bit less fiddly.

My cushions are also fixed to the three panels - your panel seems to be separate to the cushion.

Fun differences. It is a nice and easy design to move up and down though. Very sturdy feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

....agree, it is a fairly simple design and I was on the verge of replacing it with a frame type 'rock n roll' or the bracket type but both would have reduced the living space as they fit quite a bit further forward and lower than the Autohomes seat.

It has been such a long time since I replaced the boards and foam that I cannot remember if the cushions were attached or not but either way, we prefer separate cushions with removable covers .

conor2469

Post by conor2469 »

Hi Angelo,

Thanks so much for those photos . That is very helpful. its a really nice design, I think I have some good ideas on what to do with my own based on how that one operates :ok