Pop Top re-trim / insulation

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

McNab
80-90 Mem No: 12011

Pop Top re-trim / insulation

Post by McNab »

Hi All

Tried to do a bit of research but come up short on this, so sorry if there is already a similar thread that I've missed.

A while back, My Westfalia pop-top canvas got wet which resulted in mould on the fabric which spread to the flocking on the roof. The mould has been killed, but it's left a stain on both the fabric and the flocking. I've tried all sorts of remedies to get rid of this, Milton, fabric cleaner, a carpet washer machine... nothing seems to have cleaned the staining so I'm not reverting fitting a new fabric and re-lining the pop-top roof.

Canvas solution is straight forward - buy new one for JK and fit it (that bit probably isn't straight forward).

For the lining, I'm planning on fitting some skrim backed material (i'll put adhesive over the flocking and let dry before I then fit the covering). However I was wondering if I should take this opportunity to insulate the roof - mainly for thermal. I've seen some fairly cost efficient double foil, single bubble insulation (BOPP?) which I am erring towards, however, I've also been pointed to dodo matting, but that comes up a lot more expensive. I'm sure Dodo is better as a product? but is it worth the money. I don't do much camping in cold weather, so the insulation is more to attempt to keep the temperature out. Also, rest of Van ins't insulated, but will do this over time i'd imagine.

Has anyone got experience doing this, something similar, using either of the insulation.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
1986, 2.1 DJ, Westfalia Joker