Propex Heater

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Propex Heater

Post by 937carrera »

OK, you did some learning and fixing along the journey anyway, shame we didn't get all the way.

Would you mind posting back with what they find and the solution please
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

t3convert
80-90 Mem No: 16325

Post by t3convert »

to 937carrera
Certainly.
I'm taking the unit and stat in to Propex at Ringwood first thing Monday and I should have an answer by the end of the day.
Hope it's an easy fix.
Will let you know.

t3convert

Post by t3convert »

to 937 carrera, steve9007 and OBG
Got back from Ringwood OK despite being delayed by a nasty looking crash. That M27 gets pretty packed during rush hour.
Martin from Propex sorted me out. Basically the burner was completely corroded, the igniter and spark electrode had packed up altogether and the the fan and the panel lights wouldn't come on (which last bit he didn't charge me for). It wasn't cheap - £180 all told - but a hell of a lot cheaper than a recon unit (over £500). Will fit it all back in the van and let you know if it works ! (Sure it will now).

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

A bit beyond us trying to diagnose it online then! It will work - Propex have a very good reputation even when they have to deal with these older units.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

t3convert

Post by t3convert »

to 937 carrera
You did your best. There were just too many variables to consider: the wiring of the van, the thermostat and the heater box itself. But we got there in the end. It actually cost me 20 quid less because I included the cost of the flexible exhaust tubing. Many thanks

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

No worries, it's what the forum is here for, and we got a bit stuck when the outer casing could not be removed. That thread I linked to was on the right lines too.

:ok

Through the process I think we got the van wiring sorted out for you, so hopefully when the unit is back in the van it will work as expected.

Thanbks for posting back - did you manage to get a manual for your particular model out of Propex - it would be handy to have for others ?

t3convert

Post by t3convert »

to 937carrera
Sorry. I completely forgot to ask for a manual for that model. Maybe I can text Martin and ask him if there is one. The first manual you recommended was the closest. The later model Heatsource 1600 is different. Not sure if I told you that an extra live wire has to be attached to the battery live terminal (1) in the thermostat, connecting directly and exclusively to the orange wire going into the heater. The 3rd terminal (also live) connects to the purple wire and this is for the fan only, without heat. Terminals 2 and 4 were otherwise correctly wired. As for the wobbly green light in the thermostat, this was normal because it is only a push fit. Once the case is screwed back on it doesn't move. I'll see if I can find out about the manual.

t3convert

Post by t3convert »

to 937carrera
Sorry not to have got back to you sooner. I emailed the guy at Propex who deals with the manuals etc. but as he still hadn't got back to me I phoned them up (he's been very busy lately) but he should be getting back to me soon. Meanwhile the guy who fixed my heater (Martin) explained the wiring mystery in my van, namely that the red and orange wires had been joined at the heater end when they should have been separate. Apparently, the early Propex models went in the back of British telecom vans and didn't have a thermostat but a half-hour timer fitted instead. That way, as soon as you flicked the switch the heater came on for half an hour only. So, the reason I only had a single red and black wire built in to the van may have been because the thermostat wasn't fitted until 1991 (when it last came back from repair - there was a label on it) and the mechanic didn't know you had to add an extra live wire to make the thermostat work. Martin also gave me an invaluable bit of information, which applies to all these Propex heaters i.e. to switch them on once a month regardless (when it's cool enough e.g. in the early morning or late evening or the thermostat won't cut in). This stops the works getting gummed up during the summer months (when people don't usually use the heater) and also clears out the inlet and exhaust ports. I still haven't fitted it back into the van yet so I can't tell you if it works but I'm sure it will. Rgds

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

t3convert wrote: Martin also gave me an invaluable bit of information, which applies to all these Propex heaters i.e. to switch them on once a month regardless (when it's cool enough e.g. in the early morning or late evening or the thermostat won't cut in). This stops the works getting gummed up during the summer months (when people don't usually use the heater) and also clears out the inlet and exhaust ports.

I put a reminder up on the forum every year to all with any heater as this applies to them all. ( It is usually in the heater manuals but who reads them?)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Hah, I know I may have been delinquent (though I have delegated the testing role to my daughter), so I just went to test the one in my truck.

I was greeted by silence and a red light. :( Oh no.

It did operate on fan only, and having moved the thermostat around I have concluded that it's just too warm to perform the test. Never mind, it'll wait until it's cooler :rofl