Water tank gauge

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VeraPedroMariaWang
80-90 Mem No: 16998

Water tank gauge

Post by VeraPedroMariaWang »

Hi,
The gauge for water in our Autosleeper looks like thisImage
It has always worked quite well, the tank has been fairly empty over winter,today I’ve changed the tap at the sink and the piece of hose that connects it to the pump, filled the tank and realised (when water was flooding the drive!)that the gauge no longer works.
What’s gone on? I’m sure I can remember reading something on this but typically can’t find it now. It’s not the end of the world if it’s knackered but if it’s an easy fix what do I do?
Autosleeper 1.9dg

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Water tank gauge

Post by 937carrera »

It only works when the 12v power is switched on. So either the battery is disconnected or you have disturbed the wiring. I can't see any battery indication lights lit up.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

VeraPedroMariaWang

The battery is connected ok I wasn’t pressing the button for the picture. I was supposed to say above that the needle went nuts by jumping up to full then back to empty a few times and now when I press the button the needle barely moves as if the tank was empty but I know it’s not. Thanks for the reply.

Wow ok I’m typing this from the van I pressed the check button when I got in and the needle barely moved as above, went to leave and pressed it again...it worked it went to almost full, which it was today but I’ve been out and used some, i pressed it 3 times it worked pressed it a fourth and its stopped again?
Autosleeper 1.9dg

VeraPedroMariaWang

Working every time now? Which is great but why did it stop?
Autosleeper 1.9dg

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Bad connection, probably on the switch inside the button you press. Squirt some electrical contact spray i there (not WD40) and press the button a few more times to help remove any oxidation.

VeraPedroMariaWang

Ok thanks,I’ll get some spray tomorrow and get to it. I was thinking electrical...after thinking I was maybe going mad! I stood there like a bit of a loon just pressing it,amazed at the needle moving! Glad it’s a simple fix.
Thanks again. :ok
Autosleeper 1.9dg

VeraPedroMariaWang

Disconnected the battery and popped the control panel off and gave all the contacts a good squirt and the needle stopped moving altogether! Left it for a few minutes and all was working as it should. Filled the tank and added half a tub of Purclean rinsed it all out and I’m set for the year. Thanks again.
Autosleeper 1.9dg

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Perhaps I will give mine a squirt.
For years when I press the battery cond/water button the battery condition lights work fine and give a correct reading.
The water tank contents needle however always goes to full. We just guess how much water we have onboard.
I think it first went wrong after I had removed the tank, and sender unit, for cleaning.
Never got round to rectifying the problem.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

kentishvanman wrote:Hi,
I think it first went wrong after I had removed the tank, and sender unit, for cleaning.

That's your problem, not the distribution panel, probably a bad or shorted connection at the tank or within the sender unit itself

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,

That's your problem, not the distribution panel, probably a bad or shorted connection at the tank or within the sender unit itself

Yep I had guessed that was the problem but it is easier to squirt behind the panel than remove the tank etc
Over the past 25 years of running my T3 I have learnt that sometimes trying something that is completely unrelated to the problem in hand seems to 'magically' solve the difficulty.
One day, when time is available, if ever, I will take the tank off. Meanwhile a quick squirt won't hurt.
Thanks anyway for your reply.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG