leisure batteries, solar and battery maintenance etc etc

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

leisure batteries, solar and battery maintenance etc etc

Post by ermie571 »

Hi folks,

Not sure where to put this, so moderators feel free to shift it! :-)

I'm starting with a blank canvas with nowt but a van battery.... I want a leisure system that will allow me to be off grid for a few days -

who do I go to?
what am i looking for? (solar panels...controllers....types of battery....1 or 2 batteries....inverter yes or no....some clever wizardry to maintain the batteries and sort the power delivery)

I want to do it once, do it right.
I need a mains hook up....but the leisure is more important. Roof will be big enough for 2 panels if necessary. Space for a couple of leisure batteries.
Anyone in the club do this for a living and would take the job on??

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: leisure batteries, solar and battery maintenance etc etc

Post by Jim San »

Assess how much power you will need for the off grid bit.

As a rough guide
We run a 16ltr compressor fridge, LED interior lights, charge the mobiles - (Webasto heater when brrrr) - thats it
2 x 100aH batteries on a split charge system.

We can camp all weekend without running engine (if heater isn't needed), fridge is biggest drain and that's with chilling essential drinks etc.
My issue with solar is keeping van in the sun, I like to park in shade
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

best advice floating about for solar......." buy the biggest you can physically fit, as you can NEVER have too much free elastic-trickery"
and fit the biggest true leisure battery you can fit , remember, no matter how big your solar input is, its the battery capacity that actually makes stuff work. you will need a mains charging system that can actually fully charge the battery of your choice, but not over charge it .
also making mains power from 12v is very inefficient, and unless you have no other option ( chargers for laptops and phones ect should always be 12v ) dont use it, but do have it incase !
dont let Rob near the wires lol
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

just to add some toughts:
with removable solar panels you can park in the shade while you put the panels on the sun.
Its better to use complete systems from big brands like Victron, Ctek, Zig, etc. From the "wisdom of the internet" Victron is either the best or spent the most on advertising. There are complete systems on the market both for campers and boats suitable for your needs so worth checking boating sites too.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Post by Highroller »

I have a 100 watt flexi panel which I bought as a full kit from eBay mounted on the roof which charges 2 x 92 amp batteries. When on hook up I have a 10 amp CTEK charger to keep things topped up. With this setup i generally run a 23 litre compressor cooler, 6 LED Lights but not all at once, charge phones, iPads ect and have a propex for winter. In the summer with average sunlight I can stay off grid for approx 5 days on the solar alone before the cooler will cut out but the lights and charging will carry on for a lot longer. In the winter it’s approx a couple of days due to a lack of sunlight and we use the Propex heater.
Peak time in summer the panel will produce on average 5-6 amps an hour between late morning to late afternoon but I’m lucky to get 1 amp in winter. I’m just using the cheap solar controller that came with my kit but I could maybe get better efficiency if I were to upgrade it.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Post by patrickpawsey »

We lived off grid on a narrow boat for 5 years, so the accumulated wisdom from that is:

Use proper deep cycle batteries. You can't go wrong with Trojan brand, and if you can get 6v cells (batteries) and wire them in series (then parallel blocks of 2 batteries is series, if you want more than 2), so much the better.
If you can see yourself checking and maintaining the electrolyte level (topping up with de-ionised water, and preferably checking with a hygrometer) then "wet cells" will be cheapest. If you want "fit and forget" then AGM (absorbed glass matt) or gell cells will last longer (ie wet cells will die fast if you don't top them up when they need it).
Put as many panels as you can on, and wire them in series - probably (there are complications around if you expect one panel to be in persistent shade causing resistance and stopping the other panel working, but in most cases series gives you higher voltage and that means lower relarive volt drop over the cables). Mount them securely - the best way is probably the amazing 3M tape called VHB with a safety line.
Always fit a safety line (cable) to all of your panels.
Use a MPPT (maximum power point tracking) controller. This is as opposed to a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller which regulates voltage by cutting in and out rather than converting it - MPPT concerts and you don't loose power.
Use a good controller - I got a cheap one of eBay and it was fine, but you're probably better off with a branded one. Victron is good but so expensive. Tracer is a cheaper brand. I've always heard good things about Bimble Solar https://www.bimblesolar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they would be worth talking to.
Get a good battery monitor which uses a shunt - NASA Marine BM1 you can't go wrong with and as well as the reasonably accurate state-of-charge meter, you'll find you get to know your system much better and quicker just by seeing the voltage and amps in/out.
Use a marine quality fuse board - Blue Sea Systems is one you can't go wrong with.
My brother just gave me what I think is the best book on this subject by the wonderfully named William Errol Prowse IV - Mobile Solar Power Made Easy!
His website is pretty good too https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And I would say a copy of that book is the best investment you can make in your new system.

I hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask more and good luck with the system!

Patrick

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

E D I T: for handling charge control from the alternator, I've had very good experiences with the things made by Sterling Electronics.
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

I can second the sterling controller and can handle multiple inputs and smart charge batteries separately.
Whichever batteries you choose, if they are vented batteries they must vent to the outside. The gases generated during charging are potentially dangerous. This is why new caravan and motor home batteries have to be on sealed vented boxes. Low maintenance or maintenance free sealed batteries are safest for our buses where the batteries are all in the living compartment.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Post by patrickpawsey »

That's very good advice - boats tend to have big fixed ventilation in the engine compartment where the batteries usually are, so the recommendation of sealed batts is a very good one.
I had an 'alternator to battery charger' from sterling which was a great piece of kit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Thanks all. Ill look at the Sterling stuff and batteries and panels x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG