ReUpHolster Wall Carpet and Ceiling trim

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LeeCarey
80-90 Mem No: 4966

ReUpHolster Wall Carpet and Ceiling trim

Post by LeeCarey »

Hi All, looking to replace the Devon conversion carpet wall upholstery that is 35 years old and now moulting from the walls, ceiling and in desperate need of replacing. I'm hoping its just a case of pulling off the existing, clean underneath and re-glue new one in but any advice would be helpful.
Where did you get it from, which type would you recommend, which glue, pics etc. Cleaning the old glue i assume is not such an easy task so sanding?

Many Thanks in advance
Club 80-90 Member 4966
T25 Transporter 1984
2.0l CU Engine

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Re: ReUpHolster Wall Carpet and Ceiling trim

Post by Dobble »

We re-upholstered our last van and found the best method for us was to pull off the old carpet then use a wire brush on an angle grinder gently to remove the dry glue then wipe it all down with a solvent based cleaner. The glue we used to fit the new carpet was a high temperature spray on adhesive that was made for campervans. I think it came from a company called Clear Cut Conversions in Devon as they we're having a sale.
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I did something similar to Dobble but I used a stiff nylon brush angle grinder attachment.

I then lined it with some liner that I found on ebay.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dtkXtr]Image
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Removing the old glue is the hardest part, on metal, use power tools with attachments as suggested but wood panel surfaces can be damaged easily. I removed some of my panels and cut new ones as it was quicker and gave me a perfect surface.

I used contact spray adhesive available from Screwfix, their own brand is excellent and very reasonable regards price.

Carpet lining material is available on EBAY in various colours and thicknesses but I did mine in embossed vinyl as it is longer lasting, looks better and easy to clean.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Post by PeteandNikki »

Always best to use the high temp spray adhesive. The standard stuff will not withstand the high temperatures reached inside the van when closed up on a hot day. Also the high temp stuff has a lot better ‘body’ to it. None of the spray adhesives are any good with the plasticised vinyls as the flexible component in its make up will continue to leach and eventually dissolve the adhesive.