240V Heater

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

240V Heater

Post by pondering »

My last camp was last year mid November in Yorkshire (visit to YSP and The Hepworth in Wakefield; both brilliant), when the temps fell a lot for possibly the first time. It was 4c in the both the fridge and the van (!) and probably (hopefully) even colder outside. I was on a Certified Site that did have electric hook up but I don't have an electric heater :(

Has anyone used a 240 heater in similar ish circumstances? What kw power is needed to heat and keep the space warm? Is air blown more effective than oil filled?

Propex do a elec/gas combo at quite a price, but is that a good option over just gas? Their stats for gas consumption suggest an average of 142g per hour; but does anyone know/have experience of what 'full on' consumption is? I carry two 907 Campingaz bottles (one in use, one full spare) but worry that I would run out quickly...

Any thoughts/guidance appreciated.
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: 240V Heater

Post by AngeloEvs »

I have a low profile fan heater which incorporates a thermosat and two heat settings. I used to use my van for accomodation all year four days a week and ended up having to get a second heater when one particular winter saw temps at -10 degrees. Fan never bothered me regards noise.

Somesites have lower current limits regards the maximum draw from the EHU point but I found my 2Kw heater o be about rignt for keeping warm at average winter temps. I also had window thermal mats and, once the van was warmed up,; the heater was set to the lower output and left on all night as it was thermostat controlled anyway.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by pondering »

Thanks AngeloEvs, that's very helpful. I hope not to experience anywhere near -10, but I have liked Autumn camping for the quietness of sites etc. What is the make and size of your heater please? I'd like something on the small side just because of storage. I do have thermal window mats, which were great too at deflecting the heat of the summer !
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I have one of these in the living accommodation in my truck. works well and saves using gas in the Propex - available elsewhere of course.

Mines mounted above the entrance door, so it acts like a hot air curtain, like you used to see in shops

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glen-Wall-Moun ... B002DGTMLC
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Post by Forden341 »

Not sure how original your interior is but a friend of mine incorporated one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/winterwarm-ww ... 000w/42217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; plinth heaters into his conversion. Sat in the kickboard of his bed, didn’t take up a great deal of room once it was boxed in under the seat and kept the van toasty!
Just a thought.
All the best Bert.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Mine is nothing special, bought mine from Band Q, similar to this one but Mettalic Maroon...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds

Those plinth heaters look a nice idea if you dont mind a permanent fitting but I would prefer a dual power setting type. Mine is pretty small and doesn't take up much storage space and I can locate it wherever I want.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

Got my electric heater from towsure it's called a kampa fan heater and is suitable for hookup usage.