Fitting new gas cooker - how easy?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Fitting new gas cooker - how easy?

Post by Just_Kitt »

Right,
So I am looking to buy a new cooker for my van, basically because I want a grill (for cheese on toast!) as well as 2 hobs. I currently have a Smev 2-burner hob (https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan ... urner-hob/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is hooked up to the campervans LPG gas tank which I fill up from auto-gas pumps. It runs perfectly.

I want to switch it to something more like a Tasman 4500 2 burner hob and grill (https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan ... and-grill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) – and wondered if I would be able to just fit the gas connection for this new cooker to the end of the same set up I currently have, or weather I am going to need to buy any additional bits to make this run of my LPG tank in the same way my current Smev hobs do? And is this something I could do myself or do I need to find a proper gas engineer to hook it all up for me?

I am happy to build cabinets and do electrics, but I have never messed around with my gas set up before! Although I would be happy to find someone qualified to fit it all for me, I live in Milton Keynes and I don't know of any one near me that would do that kind of work.

Thanks all!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Fitting new gas cooker - how easy?

Post by AngeloEvs »

Pretty sure the unions are standard but you will know for sure when you actually able to compare them. You may find that the location of the union is different and the pipework will not line up so needs to be re routed, lengthened or replaced. Might be worth checkng your current one against pictures of the replacement.

I use thread tape on the unions, tighten and test that it is ' gas tight' with a spray on solution that is specifically for testing gas connections. Some people use soapy water and brush it around the union.

Caravan dealers usually have facility's to install gas appliancs, you may have some locally.

You can also get hob toasters that sit on your burner, I had one as a present and it works a treat but one slice at a time.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Re: Fitting new gas cooker - how easy?

Post by Just_Kitt »

Thanks for the advice!

I think I am going to give a try with the current set up and will make sure I get some of the spray you are talking about. I plan to get the whole van gas tested by a local caravan dealership once its all fitted (as the main LPG running tank hasn't been tested in a while) so they will be able to find out pretty quickly if I am going to end up gassing myself! :D - better safe then sorry!

We have a few people that re-fit whole vans around here but no one I can find is willing to do just single appliance fitting that looks legitimate! Middle england isn't exactly campervan/caravan country!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van