Fridge vent for fridge not running on gas

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

OddJobBob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fridge vent for fridge not running on gas

Post by OddJobBob »

Hi All

I've taken out the interior to do some maintenance which has resulted in me removing the gas component of my 3 way fridge so it'll only run on electric. This leaves me with a fridge flue and vent on the side of the van about the size of a sheet of A4 paper. There is also the vent in the floor. I know i'll need ventilation for the heat produced by the rear of the fridge but does anyone know how much vent I should leave behind? I could do with reducing the draught!

Cheers

Bob
1986 T25 Autosleeper conversion. 1.9 DG. Gloucestershire.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Fridge vent for fridge not running on gas

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You will need a good bank of batteries to run a 3 way on electric only! Mine runs on gas only, travelling and parked up. You are dragging around 10A out of your battery whilst on 12v which will soon sap a small leisure battery. I have 220 Ah of batteries but would not use the fridge on 12v electric.
Or do you mean to use mains which means that you will have to use campsites only.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Check to see if you can get vent covers, alternatively you could use some sheet plastic and just blank the vent from the inside. I removed my three way fridge and replaced with a 12v compressor fridge but left the vents in case a future owner wanted to fit one. Rather than remove the interior panel you could remove the vents and cover them on the reverse side then refit.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

OddJobBob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by OddJobBob »

Thanks for the responses. This fridge will strictly run on mains hook up only! I've found that even on a hot day, if it has been running full tilt over night with lots of stuff inside, it stays cold enough till the evening when it is plugged in again. More glorified cool box. I would like a compressor fridge but money is too tight.

The original vent is still on the outside but i figure I could block some of the of the hole with something or other. I don't want to permanently block the hole, I just want to reduce it in size to prevent draughts and reduce heat loss when its cold. I just don't want to block it up so much that the fridge can expel its heat. From the outside, it would still look the same with the same vent.

Cheers
1986 T25 Autosleeper conversion. 1.9 DG. Gloucestershire.

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

As I was pretty much changing every panel due to rust ( I kid you not sadly ) before a respray, decided to fill the exhaust and vent apertures.. will put a compressor fridge in, lower floor vents and will leave an opening for warmer air to escape through the kitchen ‘top’ if needed..
Personal choice I guess..
After owning several caravans, and never ever running the fridge on gas, wasn’t going to even go there in the van!!