Westfalia under floor repair suggestions...

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

D34dR4bb17
80-90 Mem No: 16516

Westfalia under floor repair suggestions...

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

While our Westy van spends a little time getting some much needed repair work done at the garage, we've completely stripped out the inside.

Most of the camping interior is in good to perfect condition, amazingly, but the underfloor looks a little unloved.

These are the boards that sit under the rock n roll bed, side cupboards and cooker. A mixture of ply and fibre boards.

They could do with replacing, but can't find anyone who fabricates them. So will probably have to make them up myself.

Had anyone had experience of this? I'm guessing just some ply replacement will be fine no?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Re: Westfalia under floor repair suggestions...

Post by adie89 »

The best product would be marine ply. It’s practically waterproof and not much heavier than regular ply, but is more expensive.
When I’ve copied panels before I screwed the old ones to the new sheet and used a router with a roller bearing bit to make an exact copy if you have a lot of holes/fittings in your floor.
You may struggle to get one sheet big enough though standard sheet size is something like 2.4m x 1.4m. The last floor I did was two sheets and was ok, but was a bugger to make the sheets stay level. If I did it again and couldn’t get a big enough board I would use four thinner boards and rotate the top layer 90 degrees.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

D34dR4bb17
80-90 Mem No: 16516

Re: Westfalia under floor repair suggestions...

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

Yeah good idea with the router, better than faffing about with a jigsaw.

Luckily for me their 4 fairly managable sizes.

They look original, and what I don't quite understand is why they used this fibre board stuff to go around the area where the waste water goes out, and the heater ducts come in. It looks like it would absorb moisture easily. Maybe it's fire retardant, or gives some insulation to the floor area that have been cut through.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk