Luggage rack / bars

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HW182
80-90 Mem No: 0

Luggage rack / bars

Post by HW182 »

Hi all,

The luggage rail on my T25 high top is seriously rusted and is in desperate need of replacement (It’s already sheered off the centre mounting point and is rusted through in several places!)

Does anyone know where I could pick up a ready made replacement? The hightop that’s on is not one I’ve readily seen around so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Betsy - 1988 T25 - 1.6 JX

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Re: Luggage rack / bars

Post by LeeME3 »

I think you may struggle to source that part. May well be easier (and cheaper) to remove the old one and take it to a metal fabrication shop to use as a pattern for a new one made to order. If you're feeling flush go stainless steel.

Or if you're quite handy and have access to a pipe bender you could have a go at making it yourself of course; I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult.
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

I'm thinking of making a new stainless rack for mine over next few months,yours looks quite easy and you could always have it square if you don't have a tube bender.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I would like to make a replacement for my scruffy looking Leisure Drive high top rack but am put off by the apparent lack of accesses to the fixings inside the van.
I have T.I.G. welding and bending kit and am confident that suitable tubing will be available but am not keen on removing what appears to be the hard lining for access to the fixings. Anyone done it without a total refit?
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

HW182

Post by HW182 »

Thanks for the replies all.

The access to the underside of mine is also a pain to get to!

I thought it would be a long shot if any aftermarket ones were available - its seems not and a custom one may be the solution (not sure what appetite i have to do this to be fair with the problems accessing underneath).

I fear if i try and unbolt it it will fall apart (its that rusted through all over!).

I may just take a hacksaw and cut it as flush to the roof as i can and take it completely off.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Do you ever use the rack?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

HW182

Post by HW182 »

I picked the van up in June and haven't used the rack yet (and unlikely to do so) so no issue if i were to remove it. I was just looking to keep it as original as possible if i could (before it completely fails and damages the van as it breaks off!)