Westy hightop interior panels replacement?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JoeHolland
80-90 Mem No: 0

Westy hightop interior panels replacement?

Post by JoeHolland »

Hi all, I have just bought a 1990 westy atlantic high top, The high top roof has been modified, with the rear skylight having been removed and fiberglassed over (assuming there was a leak). The replacement job on the rear half of the hightop panels is a bit shoddy and I want to get it replaced as close to possible as new. Does anyone know where I might be able to get the panels, left and right walls, roof and back wall for the roof?
Also seems like a good opportunity to refresh the insulation, has anyone done anything like this before?

Thanks

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Westy hightop interior panels replacement?

Post by clift_d »

Have you thought about getting a replacement skylight and cutting it back in?

New skylights here at Günzl

Skylight fitting instructions (in German) courtesy of westfaliat3 here

:idea
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

JoeHolland

Post by JoeHolland »

clift_d wrote:Have you thought about getting a replacement skylight and cutting it back in?

New skylights here at Günzl

Skylight fitting instructions (in German) courtesy of westfaliat3 here

:idea

Yeah I have thought about that, I'd like to re-instate it but until I can find the inside panels it's going to be tough.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

AFAIK the interior panels are not available new but they are 3/4mm plywood so they can easily be copied with a jigsaw.
The OEM look is harder to achieve, but V White Basket textured Tolex (cover vinyl for amplifiers) is a good match
http://www.tonebliss.com/tolex.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Post by volks_womble »

Whereabouts in the world are you Joe? I have some high top interior panels which I acquired to do another job with but it seems a shame to cut them up when they could be used as intended.

Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

volks_womble wrote:Whereabouts in the world are you Joe? I have some high top interior panels which I acquired to do another job with but it seems a shame to cut them up when they could be used as intended.

Mark
good man
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

JoeHolland

Post by JoeHolland »

volks_womble wrote:Whereabouts in the world are you Joe? I have some high top interior panels which I acquired to do another job with but it seems a shame to cut them up when they could be used as intended.

Mark
Hi Mark, that'd be really great! I'm in Devon. If you're willing to sell them on I'll happily pay for the shipping as well. I'll PM you with my email address now.

JoeHolland

Post by JoeHolland »

ZsZ wrote:AFAIK the interior panels are not available new but they are 3/4mm plywood so they can easily be copied with a jigsaw.
The OEM look is harder to achieve, but V White Basket textured Tolex (cover vinyl for amplifiers) is a good match
http://www.tonebliss.com/tolex.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good shout, thanks for the tip, if I can't get originals this will be my next option, thanks.

lukeflegg16

Post by lukeflegg16 »

JoeHolland wrote:

Mark
Hi Mark, that'd be really great! I'm in Devon. If you're willing to sell them on I'll happily pay for the shipping as well. I'll PM you with my email address now.

Hi Mark did you end up selling these panels on?