Sensible location for a Gas (LPG/CO) Alarm in a Westy?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Sensible location for a Gas (LPG/CO) Alarm in a Westy?

Post by itchyfeet »

LPG in your van not Natural gas
unlesss you have been eating beans :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Oh yes it is!
Quick quote from random web search. :D
"LPG is not made or manufactured, it is found naturally in combination with other hydrocarbons. LPG is produced during natural gas processing and petroleum refining. Once refined, LPG is stored as a liquid under pressure in gas bottles or tanks."
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:LPG is produced during natural gas processing and petroleum refining

^^^^ so not naturally occuring in the quantity we use it in.

It's like saying plastic is natural because it's made from oil.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Natural gas is methane, found in gas fields and naturally produced by decay of biomatter (human stomachs as well as bovine and the result of dead things decomposing)

Propane and Butane are also refined from the crude oil / gas, both being hydrocarbons

Crude oil has many components, petroleum refining is what separates out the different elements "lighter" elements being the gases and petrol, getting heavier as you move down through diesel / kerosene, until you get to heavy fuel oil and the residues
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Oldiebut goodie

If you saw the amount that was flared off on a gas production platform you wouldn't say that. Very weird light when you are stuck out on a rig in the middle of the North Sea at night. (Indefatigable gas field - now commercially empty) Those were the days of landing onto a postage stamp sized helipad through fog. :shock:

"Indefatigable is a mature dry gas field on the northeastern margin of the UK Southern North Sea Rotliegend Play fairway. The field was discovered, 49/18-1, by the Amoco operated group in 1966 and subsequent appraisal drilling established that the field extended over four blocks (i.e. 49/18, 49/19, 49/23 & 49/24). There have been several phases of development, initial production concentrated on the main horst block with first gas in 1971, followed by the west flank area in 1977/78. Then in 1987/88 the SW and SE Indefatigable satellite accumulations were brought on-stream.

The Rotliegend Leman Sandstone Formation reservoir primarily consists of stacked aeolian dune sandstones (150-400 ft) of good reservoir quality (porosity 15%, permeability 100-1000 mD). However, the integration of the 1992/93 3D seismic survey, well data, reservoir pressure and production data has lead to a much more complex view of the field with 11 gas-water contacts and 15 reservoir compartments.

This has resulted in an upward revision of the gas initially-in-place from 5.2 to 5.6 TCF and recoverable reserves from 4.4 to 4.7 TCF. Current work is focused on maximizing recovery from the various reservoir compartments and accessing this additional potential.

© The Geological Society of London 2003. All rights reserved"
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I don't have to go that far to see a big gas flare like that, there's often one from the petroleum cracker on Teesside, all depends how they are running the plant. :)

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

itchyfeet wrote:LPG in your van not Natural gas

So I was right farts are natural gas :rofl
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Nearly......methane is an odourless, natural gas (which is primarily methane) also has an chemical added to make it detectable to the human nose.

I'll let you figure out the rest :D

Oldiebut goodie

937carrera wrote:I don't have to go that far to see a big gas flare like that, there's often one from the petroleum cracker on Teesside, all depends how they are running the plant. :)
We used to have one just down the road where there was a great big Calor Gas storage tank in the days when we had LPG tankers delivering a lot of the UK's LPG. I can remember the first night in the early 60's when they first flared off on the first delivery. Everyone came out of their houses to see what it was. We were in the evacuation zone and they had test sirens for evacuation - trouble was not everyone was informed. Brilliant!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

I have a combined smoke / carbon monoxide detector in my Westy. I've located it on the inside of the overhead locker flap. Whilst driving it's shut and when I'm living in it it's open.
Whenever I'm frying it's convenient for me to close the flap.

As a Westy I'm not too concerned with the gas as the cylinder is external and all the plumbing is rigid. However, the ventilation on these old fridges is somewhat inferior to modern ones. As a consequence the co alarm has activated once. It was caused by a small piece of gossamer thin soot being dislodged in the chimney.

As I've seen first hand the fatal consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning I was a tad concerned. As a result, every time I take the fridge out the flue gets a thorough cleaning.

Regards, Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

itchyfeet wrote:LPG in your van not Natural gas

Assuming that you are referring to the classic bake beans in tomato sauce, I would suggest that this foul (pun alarm sounds) and insulting old wives tale is not true in all cases as I, having eaten four slices toast with beans twice each day in my living memory I rarely pass wind. The fact that the other much vaunted wind inducer- Brussel Sprouts does indeed have that effect on me :oops: does to some extent mitigate in favour of the baked bean.
I have to say that I do only eat Heinz baked beans and when touring in Europe make sure to stock up prior to embarking. On one occasion due to problems with staff - Her Ladyship failing to load sufficient supplies - I was shocked to find that the foreigners eat them without the tomato sauce :shock: .

Incidentally I do have a C0 alarm but tend to switch it off when overnighting on the Airs and resting places in Europe as the constant cycling of refrigerator lorries sets it off all the time. :ok
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Heinz are cooked longer hence the price and less farty
Cheaper beans are not cooked so much hence harder and fartier.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Our CO monitor/alarm is fixed at the exact height my head is when I'm asleep ... that's when I need to know what's going on.

CO can be found at any height depending on the cooling conditions ... it often pools when cold which is why people in tents are succeptible. When testing for CO with the Mines Rescue Service we used to use a sweeping action to cover low/medium and higher strata of gas. Warm CO is not a risk IF the flue and ventilation are correct as it rises out of the exhaust pipe, if however it cools before it can exhaust then it can be dangerous. For years I've said do not use the paper disc things ... they merely tell the emergency services what killed you.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

Post by si macc »

Sorry, I meant LPG! I have been eating a lot of beans this week while we've been away, the missus wasn't happy....
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX