Finding the right awning

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

D34dR4bb17
80-90 Mem No: 16516

Finding the right awning

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

Looking for an awning for our van I thought would be an easy choice, in fact I thought we'd just get the ARB roll out awning and that'll be that.

However, as the missus pointed out, if you want to go anywhere for the day you have to pack it away, and put everything back in the van.

The thing is I pretty much hate every drive away awning I've seen. They always look huge, bulky, and kind of goes against the whole point of why we got the van in the first place.

But I gotta admit she's gotta point, as some of the places we go to don't have defined pitches fool you kinda want to mark your spot, and you don't want to be driving a fully loaded van all just for a day trip.

Then I found the sheltapod, which looks like no other drive away awning I've seen : https://www.sheltapodcampervanawnings.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had anyone spotted one in the wild?? It looks great, and solves a lot of the issues I have with the typical drive away awning. Plus if you also have a roll out awning, like the ARB, it will attach to that.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Re: Finding the right awning

Post by nicq »

D34dR4bb17 wrote: The thing is I pretty much hate every drive away awning I've seen. They always look huge, bulky, and kind of goes against the whole point of why we got the van in the first place

It would seem to have twice the footprint of the average driver away and I can't see it packing up any smaller.
2.1 Twin slider

D34dR4bb17

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

Yeah I'd like to see the pack size

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

We have an inflatable Kampa Travel Pod Cross Air drivaway and its brilliant.
Packs away into a bag thats about 500mm x 400mm.
Takes ~20mins to get it blown up and nailed down.

Cheers
Izzy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

D34dR4bb17 wrote:Yeah I'd like to see the pack size

It's on there page https://www.sheltapodcampervanawnings.co.uk/awning(about 3/4 of the way down)

personally, I've gon for the air beam pod tent so I don't have to worry about the poles and strong winds if the tent is unattended

(Outdoor Revolution Moveairlite Classic)

Van attachment rolls up tidily when unattached

although they do seem to be heavier than the conventional pole type, and I don't know why the manufacturers insist on putting plastic window in.
There's a little more info about the air poles on the blog (http://www.thebeast.blog/?page_id=1518)
I also have the larger Kampa Travel Pod Maxi AIR But am not that impressed with it (will take some photos and write a review when I get time

Hope this helps
Regards Gary
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

D34dR4bb17

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

Good point about the poles, that's one thing I hated about our tent. Cool I'll take a closer look at those. I was also looking at one of those Quechua pop up shelters, but give gotta fight them to pack up.

So what's the general feeling between an attached roll up awning and a drive away awning?

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

My Khyam Motordome Sleeper works really well for us(you cna get the non-sleeper variety which is obviously smaller), the poles are in built and you can have it up in minutes between two of you, and pegged down a few more minutes from that, putting it away is similar. Downsides are the packed size is still bulky, and they're quite expensive. They are however, very sturdy(we have 'driven away' a fair bit with no worries), and well put together.

1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF