Restoring Autosleeper pop top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

northernsoul
80-90 Mem No: 16496

Restoring Autosleeper pop top

Post by northernsoul »

So I'm planning how best to go about refurbing the interior of my Autosleeper VT20 and just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom regarding the pop top. The vinyl and carpets inside are looking pretty tired/stained/rumpled so I'd like to replace them- DIY if possible. The headliner is OK for now.

1) Will I have to take the roof off to get to these or is it possible to do it from the inside with the roof up and intact? The spring etc which helps the roof lift up will have to removed to fit the carpet so I'll have to prop it up somehow! (http://www.autosleeper.vwt25camper.info ... opRoof.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for reference)

2) What is best to fix the rubber seals along the interior edges on with? All but one of them is gone and needs to be replaced (I've got replacement seal from Autosleeper themselves).

3) Any recommendations for how to finish the interior of the pop top? I have no idea what will be directly underneath the vinyl/carpet.
1986 1.9 petrol Autosleeper pop-top AKA Brian

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Restoring Autosleeper pop top

Post by MagicWagon »

I took the roof off when I did mine. The vinyl goes under the central wooden support so if you want to keep the vinyl you'll have to unscrew that. Getting the roof off was not as big a deal as I thought. Didn't replace side rubbers, only main seal around the pop top.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker