New interior ideas wanted

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

New interior ideas wanted

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

I'd like to make a custom interior for my van. I've just built our kitchen from 18mm birch-faced ply and would like something similar to go in the van, probably a mix of 12mm and 18mm though. We have a poptop and what I think is a Leisuredrive interior with a Rusty Lee 3/4 bed. It has served us well, but there just isn't enough storage for us when travelling. I'm really keen to see how other people have addressed this issue - I know a fair number of folk on here have built their own, so if you can share any photos, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: New interior ideas wanted

Post by slowcoach »

Just watch the weight, 18mm is v heavy and overkill. Think my factory one is 9 or 10mm and plenty strong. Go for it :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

I agree with the weight factor.
I did mine in 6mm birch ply and finished the edge's with another strip of 6mm so it looked heavy. Worktops are 10mm again doubled up on the edges.
If you design it well it can be incredibly strong.
All shelfs are glued in for regidity.
2.1 Twin slider

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Thanks for the tips. Any photos I could look at?

huggy76
80-90 Mem No: 12681

Post by huggy76 »

Iain

Hope you don't mind me asking but if you are removing an original Leisuredrive interior I would be very interested in buying some of your original door/drawer latches as i have some broken ones which i would like to replace.

I placed a wanted add a long time ago but got no joy.

Thanks
Andy

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Hi Andy,

If they're genuine leisuredrive (I'm not 100% sure) and they are compatible with your van, you can have them. I'm not planning on starting this until I have a really good idea/plan for the design though so it might be a while before they're available.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I rebuilt my Liesuredrive interior over ten years ago and being a bit skint at the time used 12mm contiboard for the cupboards etc and leftover kitchen worktop for the - yes you guessed - van worktops. While it is still in near perfect condition I do cringe at the thought of it being so heavy, flying towards our heads in the event of an accident. Maybe one day when I have the more pressing jobs/projects done... :roll:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

huggy76
80-90 Mem No: 12681

Post by huggy76 »

Iain

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks
Andy

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

Hi,

I've just done ours using 15mm birch ply where it can been seen and 12mm poplar core ply where it can't. Topped with formica laminate sheet where needed. The advantage of the 15mm is that most standard camper cabinet fittings are made for 15mm voringer board so fit straight in.

1988 1.9 DG

Reverend
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Reverend »

Blimey, those look very nice! How did you make them?
-89 4x4 panelvan 1.6td
-90 2wd Caravelle Coach 1.6td
-87 4x4 Caravelle GL Syncro 2.1wbx
+ 10 more

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

No fancy CNC machines here! This was all mainly done with a circular saw with a fine tooth blade on a rail, a jigsaw, a 1/2 router and jig for the big cutouts and a palm router for the laminate trimming. The flat fronts and doors are fairly straightforward. All the backs were scribed to fit the curves of the van and either templated from the old units or done in sheets of cardboard first to check the fit. Ply faces and edges were all sanded down to 240grit and coated with water based acrylic varnish, 3 coats denibed between each coat (could have used wax oil but it goes yellow a lot faster).

The rock 'n' roll bed uses westy style hinges salvaged from the old interior as were the push button locks. The back cupboard doors are on a bog standard sliding rail, making it easy to rummage around when the back is loaded (or we are in bed!). The upholstery is bus seating from Martrim run up on a basic sewing machine, templated from the old, as was the new vinyl headlining. The 3 way fridge was kept but has a new laminate insert to match the top. The SMEV hob/sink was new and pig to fit, far to much routering needed.

It is possibly a bit on the weighty side but using lighter and thinner materials inside all the units ensured it wasn't too much heavier. It turned out about 20% more than the knackered interior that came out, so not too bad and should last a lot longer. It is all held together with plastic assembly blocks and screws so can be pulled apart for the inevitable rust treatment and welding access in the future!
1988 1.9 DG

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Very nice too.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

Post by si macc »

Being a Westy Joker owner I would highly recommend the layout. It’s very well designed and has plenty of storage and feels like every inch of space has been used. If you knew someone locally with one you could also use as a template to take measurements from? At least it would give you a guide which you could then modify to suit your needs? This may also help:

http://www.westfaliat3.info/html/westfa ... antic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only thing I would change is that we don’t use the wardrobe much (the mrs does more than me) and is huge, have considered putting in some shelves. Does come in useful when going to a wedding though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Half my problem is that I keep changing my mind. When I first bought my bus, I purchased (at great expense) a proper Caravelle full-width folding bed/seat. That was because I wanted to keep the three-seater in the back (kids), but wanted a bed. These days, with the kids gone, I'm feeling that the full-width bed takes up space, and ponder whether to go to two-thirds, and build a copy-westy interior. Probably won't, though....
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I'd stay with the full width.
A three quarter bed is a little too narrow for anything more than a weekend.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l