Carpet lining the cab area

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Santa79
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carpet lining the cab area

Post by Santa79 »

So my next project for the Gipsy is to remove the rubber mat in the front and replace it with some decent carpetting.
The thing is... I REALLY don't want to spend £300 on one of the carpet sets that are about. Whilst I realise that they are probably very very good, I also think I could line it with a heatproof underlay then use some stretch fabric to cover it...
Has anyone on here attempted this at all? Was it a success??

As far as I can see, it's just seats out, one fabric piece over it, and a bit (lots) of spray adhesive (obviously, leaving the passenger footwell free for the washer fluid filler!!).

Thanks
1987 RHD Karmann Gipsy 1.9DG (Gaston)

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Carpet lining the cab area

Post by multisi »

Have you seen the new reproduction moulded carpet sets, one big heat pressed piece for the floor and all the other pieces including underlay, 2 types of carpet material and lots of colour choices.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

I’ve used the stretch carpet over the whole cab floor area and just purchased a half decent set of mats for around £30. Been on 3 years and still looks ok. It’s like anything, cost a lot less but doesn’t look as good as a fitted set would. Will also probably need replacing if I was bothered about it that much. But I’m not, so all good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Santa79

Post by Santa79 »

multisi wrote:Have you seen the new reproduction moulded carpet sets, one big heat pressed piece for the floor and all the other pieces including underlay, 2 types of carpet material and lots of colour choices.

no...
Where have you spotted these??

Santa79

Post by Santa79 »

I only realluy want to do it as it still has the original rubber mat in the front and our circumstances are possibly about to change... So we may need to sell it in the new year :(