Water tank placement

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

B.J
80-90 Mem No: 11168

Water tank placement

Post by B.J »

Hi
I'm in the process of refitting my van and am wondering about the the best water tank solution.
I currently have two removable plastic tanks with a submersible and no holes cut in the van. I'd like to avoid cutting inlet holes in the van but am thinking that having a fitted tank that you have to fill from inside would be pretty awkward.
Other option could is to fit an external, underslung tank but dont know the pros and cons.

Anyone on here have an external tank?

Ta

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Water tank placement

Post by AngeloEvs »

A lot depends on your idea of camping and quantity of water you are likely to need. Eg, campsite, wild camping, long stay, day tripper, weekender, number of people, etc.

My van originally had an internal tank under the seat and external filler. Being an internal fixed tank it had no drain tap and was difficult to empty when not in use. Underslung tank doesn't take internal space and should have a drain tap but winter camping can be a problem if the water freezes.

However, I don't like having to take the van to the water supply and for that reason I prefer having a portable water container. We also use the van for day trips and a small low profile 15 ltr tank with electric pump is all we need but for longer stays I use a 25 litre.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

B.J
80-90 Mem No: 11168

Post by B.J »

I can definitely see the advantage of both. The 15l removable tanks I have are very convenient as I can send the kids to fetch water☺ cheers.

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Big factor being winterisation. If it’s for summer only and you will defo drain the tanks then you can save internal storage and get an external tank. If there’s a possibility that water will get left in it or it could freeze, go inboard.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773