Original 3-way fridge: to replace or not to replace?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

animalmother90
80-90 Mem No: 0

Original 3-way fridge: to replace or not to replace?

Post by animalmother90 »

Hi all,

I've got the original Electrolux 3-way fridge in the van. It works fine (apparently) but not tested it on a trip as yet. My wife and I are planning a European trip for 6 weeks and wanted to ask whether it's worth keeping the original and maybe getting it serviced - or replacing it with a Waeco CRX50?

Ideally, I'd like a fridge that keeps the beers and the bbq meat cold (priorities) and one which we can rely on when we're away from hook-ups for an extended time.

Cheers!
1982 Westfalia Joker - high top (RHD)

Currently in the middle of a major refurb

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: Original 3-way fridge: to replace or not to replace?

Post by Porkscratching »

If your fridge is working fine why are you even asking the question. Rhetorical.

Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

animalmother90

Post by animalmother90 »

The issue is, I bought the campervan and since we've had it, it's pretty much been in the garage being worked on, so I've tested the fridge but only for short tests. I'm hoping for something that will support us travelling for a few months and equally not be too much of a power drain. I've been told the Waeco CRX50 is a great addition but don't want to give up on the old fridge if they can be relied upon and made to work as new.

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

What sort of charging system will you be using?

Hook up, solar or just relying on split charge?

Reason being the Waeco relies solely on Battery power so without adequate provision a standard 110ah battery won't last much more than a couple of days without being re-charged, someone will be able to tell you exactly how long but you get the idea, whereas a gas fridge only relies on your bottle size.

The Waeco cools better and faster, I'm led to believe, although there is a slight noise element to them unlike gas that are silent.

My advice, fire your gas fridge up and leave it on for a few days to see how cold it gets and take it from there, if it's ok then go with it, if not then look at a Waeco but do a search on here to see what people have to say about power draw etc.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

A lot depends on where you are going. We have travelled extensively across Europe and had both a 3 way fridge and Waeco with solar panels. Where ambient temperatures were high, such as in Southern Spain, Italy, Greece and Crete, the three way fridge struggled whereas the Waeco managed fine. In high temperatures the compressor kicks in more frequently so running purely of a fully charged leisure battery is limted to a day or so.

Also bear in mind that the 3 way absorption type fridge will not operate efficiently unless perfectly flat and level so make sure you have some levellng chocks available. Compressor fridges such as the Waeco will work irrespective of wether you are parked on an inclne.

The problem with gas, as we found out, is that in some countries it is difficult to get or re-filled. France is ok, Spain we had had to buy a Spanish bottle and regulator. Best take a spare bottle with you to last the 6 weeks and I now use camping gas bottles rather than the calor types.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

My rm4200 fridge is only getting down to 23 deg c (230volts or gas !!) ambient temperature 41 deg c. !!
Even if you buy a Waeco fridge you will need a leisure battery and a solar panel (seems 60watt is the mininum )
Good luck.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

animalmother90

Post by animalmother90 »

Thanks all.

We do have a 110v leisure battery fitted and was thinking of getting a solar panel fitted to ensure the charge is consistent. What I'm looking for is a system that genuinely keeps things cold even in high temperature and something which doesn't rely on my trying to find gas to fill up the tank, or a hook up. We're going to be mostly running off grid.

Sounds like Waeco + solar might be the best route?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

animalmother90 wrote:Thanks all.

We do have a 110v leisure battery fitted and ,,,,,

That must be one heck of a battery!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

animalmother90

Post by animalmother90 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
animalmother90 wrote:Thanks all.

We do have a 110v leisure battery fitted and ,,,,,

That must be one heck of a battery!

Hmmm, yeah let's try 110Ah instead!