changing from high top to pop top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Betty boop 1
80-90 Mem No: 0

changing from high top to pop top

Post by Betty boop 1 »

so Sunday morning discussion with the good lady wife betty are 1.9dg currently has a high top fitted to her and we are debating whether or not to remove the high top and replace with a new pop top there is only ever 2 of us out in her has anyone done this and how did you find it, the space is useful admittedly but not required any opinions would be greatly received
many thanks
ewan

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Re: changing from high top to pop top

Post by 100leelee »

Have my high top removed at the moment, bit of restoration.. lol
I thought about replacing with a pop top, one thing to keep in mind is the roof cut out, was unable to consider a pop top due to the amount of roof left after the P.O. had cut the roof .
I mean the distance from the gutter to the roof cut, on my van there isn’t enough roof for a pop top to fit properly..

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Why if it’s only two of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

[quote="Da dan"]Why if it’s only two of you?

Some Hi Tops are very high, my Autohomes isn't too bad at just a little over 8ft but some of the places we visit have height restriction barriers, we can't get in but the pop tops can - really annoying!

May be its more convenient for the OP to have a pop top, I can think of lots of reasons why I would convert and only two for having a High top - more space and better in bad weather.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

100leelee has a good point. Basically, when you take the high top off, you may find that you don't have sufficient roof 'edge' to fit a pop-top. The holes are different sizes.
Also, we regularly see posts on here, where the owner has removed a high top, only to find that big chunks of the roof underneath have completely rusted away.
This plan sounds good on paper, but may not work out so well in reality.
That said, it might make a difference, depending on which roof type you're fitting. You may find a Viking roof will cover it (other full length roof types are available).
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Betty boop 1

Post by Betty boop 1 »

our hi top is high :rofl im 5' 10" and have to reach for the sky light looking at it as well from a handling/ fuel consumption point of view and yes i know she will never corner like my mini's do or accelerate like a s*****d rat shes a 32yr old bus but it would be nice to feel like shes not gong to tip over....we are looking at the space roof westy copy

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

Having owned caravans before you never seem to have enough space!!
Also plan to take mine to the coast a lot and don't fancy the 'breeze' hammering a fabric top..
Half of the fun is taking your time getting there imo

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

There do seem to be more height barriers going up. Went down to Boscombe beach over the weekend and new height barriers have been installed. They said it was to stop camping overnight, saw quit a few cars with people kipping in them
Honorary "Dave"