3 way or Compressor

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

3 way or Compressor

Post by 100leelee »

Hi,
I know it’s a popular topic.. will fit a new interior in the near future.. van has the exterior vents for the usual Electrolux rm 3 way fridge. I would have to buy one though. Should I buy a used/new 3 way fridge that would fit, or bite the bullet and blank the vents (van to be resprayed) and go the compressor route..
The cost of a compressor fridge is the first hurdle...

Any ideas?
Cheers

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: 3 way or Compressor

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I bit the bullet and went for a compressor. glad I did, it works well on the leisure battery and my 150W solar keeps up with demand on a good sunny day.
I got a Chinese one (they're all made in china now anyway) it's a 40L top loading one and the right dimensions so I can build it in.
It also opens the right way for where I want to build it in.
Same as this.

Can't comment on 3way fridge as I have never had one but you can only use the 12V supply when you're on the move, it would flatten your battery in no time.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

I've got a 3-way in my current van, and had a compressor in my old van. Here's some observations if it helps:

Quietest: 3-way - silent in operation (both on gas & electric). Compressor hummed like a standard kitchen fridge. Not so good if your head's next to it as it switches off and on through the night :)
Most efficient: Compressor - Ran well on a solar setup as mentioned, 3-4A draw IIRC; 3-way will need a gas bottle or mains hookup. 10A draw will quickly zap any battery without the engine running.
Safest: Compressor, or 3-way on electricity. My 3-way occasionally decides it wants to vent the exhaust into the van, due to the bad route of the exhaust (should only be a straight pipe, strictly following the fitting instructions, someone fitted mine with flexible hose, hmm) I need to fix that, but in the mean time, there's no way I'd sleep in the van with it on gas.
Performance: Don't think I've noticed a difference between them, both kept the beer cold! (Compressor had a slightly larger freezer, but I guess that would depend on which model you go for in the end)

So, erm, hope some of that's helpful! :)
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

Compressor - Waeco CR80. Compressor - Waeco CR80. Compressor - Waeco CR80. Compressor - Waeco CR80. Compressor - Waeco CR80.

Did I mention Compressor - Waeco CR80.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I am considering a waeco CRX50
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

phil_b
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by phil_b »

From my experience with 3 way and compressor (Waeco CRX80)

Waeco cools quicker, is much more tilt tolerant, needs good batteries and preferably solar panels. But noisy in a small van, some people turn them off at night because of this, but sort of defeats the purpose, especially in summer!

3 way, cools well when level but performance drops when tilted even slightly, works even when batteries are low, totally silent. Bliss

On balance the compressor works best for us due to tilt tolerance, we frequently park on rough tracks and ground in mountain areas where its often impossible to get level. But we now always try to sleep with head away from fridge.
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

Thanks to everyone for the advice..
Had caravans before and as soon as the outside temp rises the 3 way struggle..
Plus I want to have a clean sided van, so can remove the exhaust/vents..
Compressor it is then.. or maybe a cool box until I save up the pennies for a waeco;)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Have a waeco and would never go back to an absorption 3 way fridge. Apart from efficiency, condensation problems rotting the floor, a compressor fridge is not affected by gradients unlike absorption fridges which will only tolerate a few degrees fom perfectly flat and level.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

I had a Peltier effect coolbox, which while serving faithfully would draw 8 ampères... :shock:

I prefer to use the 'fridge space' under the kitchen, to store porta toilet, barbeque etc..

For me the coolbox remains largely outside the van, under a plastic table for cover.

I have now upgraded to this:

Model Indel B TB18....... 393€

It is 12 and 24 volt only, drawing 3 ampères

Being portable I can now use it to keep frozen foods correctly when going shopping in hot weather, or stuff (very) cold if invited to a Bbq or similar... 8)

Cordialement,

:ok

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

100leelee wrote:Hi,
I know it’s a popular topic.. will fit a new interior in the near future.. van has the exterior vents for the usual Electrolux rm 3 way fridge. I would have to buy one though. Should I buy a used/new 3 way fridge that would fit, or bite the bullet and blank the vents (van to be resprayed) and go the compressor route..
The cost of a compressor fridge is the first hurdle...

Any ideas?
Cheers

Sorry, going back to the beginning... 3way doesn’t need external vents according to the instructions (on the club stuff downloads page). If you fit it tucked back towards the side of the van then fit vents above and below the fridge, they are meant to work without external vents, just a flue vent. I’m hoping to go that route, and fill in my massive, ugly, badly done, external vents. I think the theory must be that with less space behind the fridge you get a stronger updraft past the cooling tubes (or whatever they are called). For me, I’m also attracted to the idea of more space inside the van as a result.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

bigbadbob76 wrote:I bit the bullet and went for a compressor. glad I did, it works well on the leisure battery and my 150W solar keeps up with demand on a good sunny day.
I got a Chinese one (they're all made in china now anyway) it's a 40L top loading one and the right dimensions so I can build it in.
Same as this.

Can't comment on 3way fridge as I have never had one but you can only use the 12V supply when you're on the move, it would flatten your battery in no time.
Where did you get that then?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Post by bobby-gg »

tforturton wrote:
bigbadbob76 wrote:I bit the bullet and went for a compressor. glad I did, it works well on the leisure battery and my 150W solar keeps up with demand on a good sunny day.
Same as this.

Where did you get that then?

I've just Google'd Alpicool and found aliexpress is about the only seller at the moment

I run a 50l weaco but might be tempted at a 50l Alpicool at £183 plus duties of course

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Post by volks_womble »

Compressor - we use an Engel MT35. It sits where the buddy box would sit in our Westy. The Ozzie’s swear by Engels and they know about hot deserts and cold beer - but they are not cheap. Ours came from eBay around 10 years ago, but I wouldn’t be without it now. It freezes stuff on anything over setting 1 (of 5 settings). Never mind cold beer, ice cold milk on my cereal in the morning is where it’s at!

If I were to buy a fridge now I would be looking at the waeco front loading ones, although the top loading ones are much more efficient as you don’t lose the cold air every time you get something out...

Cheers
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

I have a 3way in my van and no vents,except flu.seems to work fine on all power sources.does struggle to cool quickly when its warm outside.thinking of putting a small fan behind it to heat move the heat as it does get warm behind it.also never had any condensation issues with it.
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

If the van is leaning toward the sliding door it would need a compressor if leaning away it'll be OK on a 3 way. :? Or is it the other way round?
Honorary "Dave"