Gas fridge/regulator woes

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Liz_limpet
80-90 Mem No: 0

Gas fridge/regulator woes

Post by Liz_limpet »

Hi All,

I have been tearing my hair out over this and thought perhaps someone on here may be able to help me!!

I have a vw t25 1987 Weinsberg conversion. I bought it a few years ago and the seller stated they couldn't get the gas fridge to work. It does work on electric (12v and 230v). The gas hob does work. I have small calor gas bottles in the back that connect to a "plumbed in" system.

Last year i thought I'd try to get the fridge going and pulled it out and cleaned it before putting it back. I managed to get an orange pilot light for a few seconds but that's it.

Cannot find a gas engineer who will look at it or even answer my messages (south west London) and so am stuck on my own. Someone recently suggested that my 29mbar butane regulator would not satisfy the 50mbar fridge requirement so I bought a new "butane" regulator online only for a propane one to arrive that has different fitting that don't match up - the hoses and the regulator and now I am just about ready to give up...

Please is anyone able to help me or suggest someone near to me?! I can put some pics up of this would help...

Thanks in advance!!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Gas fridge/regulator woes

Post by Mocki »

morning,
firstly , your fridge will have information either inside the door or on the back that tells you what pressure its designed to work at .
what model fridge is it ?

secondly, if you are using those 907 camping gaz bottles, only the 907 designed regulators will fit.

a small orange flame at the fridge tells me its a dirt burner / jet, too much air not enough gas .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I've got 907 Campinggaz bottles along with my a 50mbar Campinggaz regulator in my Westie. This seems to be the standard pressure on German conversions. A previous 50mbar regulator broke and I had to fit a 30mbar one as a temporary measure. It did not work well. There are a number of 50mbar options on ebay with different fittings. I bought one with a shut off knob on it to isolate the gas from the stove and fridge to prevent inadvertent leaks.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

If it's a German conversion then, as somebody else has suggested, it is likely to need 50mBar of pressure to run properly, so although your stove will work with a slightly lower flame on the 29mBar supply you have right now, the pressure will be too low for the fridge.

If you are able to establish what gas cyclinder type or fitting you are using then I would suggest you get in touch with Gaslow who should be able to make up an adaptor to allow your 50mBar regulator to connect to your cylinder. They did something similar for us a couple of years ago when we went to Iceland to allow us to adapt the UK POL regulator we had to the US POL cylinders that they used there.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Liz_limpet

Post by Liz_limpet »

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. As I said the fridge does require 50mbar.

I will get in touch with gaslow re : correct fitting. I cant beliebe its so difficult to just get a 50mbar butane regulator that fits!! Very frustrating when you have little knowledge!

I will try them now...

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Have you thought about buying a regulator from Germany - they obviously have different gas standards to us, so what's really unusual for us is bog standard for them. ebay.de works well
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Liz_limpet

Post by Liz_limpet »

Hi 937carrera, Yes it was from Germany I bought this One that doesn't fit!

I called Gaslow and they're helping for now so I have some hope....