Fresh water

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fresh water

Post by pondering »

My Autohomes Kameo has the rather large water tank under the seat, and I'm pondering the value in it versus the space freed up if it wasn't there. Those of you that have it, do you find it of great use ? How much do you fill it given to get about in an area, even if using a campsite as a base, often involves going in the van. Is it okay for drinking water or just washing up? How do you clean it ?

Those of you that don't have this tank, how please do you 'manage' (carry, store, pump) fresh water ?

Thanks in advance.
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Fresh water

Post by Jim San »

We carry a1l gallon nato Jerry can which I carry on a box on the bike rack and then strap to the front bumper for use. We don't use the sink in side

I've thought about a large tank but it's not worth it for us, I drive the van most days and the weight, space is now valuable to me.

10 gallon lasts is a good good long weekend, 2 adults and two dogs.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

We have a 25L square plastic can in a locker.
I've fitted it with a submersible pump and quick relese water and electrical connections.
I like to be able to remove it for washing and filling.
I have an underseat tank languishing in the garage but have never fitted it as I don't think I could live with it.
I also have another 25L can and I made a rack for it to go on the tow ball so I can fill the inboard tank from it.
Not used it in anger yet though as 25l lasts us 2-3 days.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I removed the Autohomes tank in my Karisma, apart from the space it takes up, its not possible to drain it. I have a 25 ltr container, its a lot more convenient to take the container to a fresh water point than having to move the van. The submersible pump fits neatly inside it. I have a quick release nylon restraining strap to help keep it in place.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

pondering

Post by pondering »

Thanks all for your comments. Being able to remove and wash the 'tank' does sound sensible. :ok

bigbadbob76 wrote:...
I've fitted it with a submersible pump and quick relese water and electrical connections.

bigbadbob76 can you provide a link please for the pump and connections you used ?

AngeloEvs wrote:I removed the Autohomes tank in my Karisma, apart from the space it takes up, its not possible to drain it. I have a 25 ltr container, its a lot more convenient to take the container to a fresh water point than having to move the van. The submersible pump fits neatly inside it. I have a quick release nylon restraining strap to help keep it in place.

AngeloEvs was it easy to remove the tank? Anything I need to be careful of ? Do you keep the 25 ltr container under the seat still ?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

There were two straps on top of the water tank which were easy to remove, it is just a case of lifting it out once the pump and wiring have been removed but you may have to remove the furniture that is fitted over the tank. I had already removed the interior panels anyway.

The 25 litre container is in the cupboard and directly under the sink/burner combo so, once again very convenient regards wiring and plumbing.
Same as Bigbadbob12 regards having the pump connected to a socket - makes it much easier to withdraw the pump out of the container.

pondering

Post by pondering »

AngeloEvs wrote:There were two straps on top of the water tank which were easy to remove, it is just a case of lifting it out once the pump and wiring have been removed but you may have to remove the furniture that is fitted over the tank. I had already removed the interior panels anyway.

The 25 litre container is in the cupboard and directly under the sink/burner combo so, once again very convenient regards wiring and plumbing.
Same as Bigbadbob12 regards having the pump connected to a socket - makes it much easier to withdraw the pump out of the container.

Thanks. that's helpful. I've looked today and yes, I need to remove the furniture and there are two metal straps over the tank; the latter screwed one side into wood and riveted the other into metal. Did you cut the strap rather than pull the rivet out ? I've removed the inside cover over the fill pipe and found a jubilee clip to release the pipe. How did you seal off the 'end' to the outside filler cap please ?

Please can you explain a little more the 'pump connected to a socket' as I can't grasp that ? :?
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

I removed the rivets, made sure the holes were clean and touched up then cut some small sections of 'fine' fibre glass mat, applied some resin and covered them.

Regards the outside filler cap, the cap itself does seal pretty well. I had thought of removing it and welding a section in but decded against that just in case I ever sold the van and someone preferred to refit a tank under the seat.

I have been thinking of modifying the filler to accept one of those hoses that has two different diameters each end. The wider end is at the filler cap whilst the smaller diameter links to a regular hose and can be inserted into the 25 ltr tank. I could fill from the outside or by removing the tank, not sure wether its worth doing but it could be done.

The pump could be wired permanently but having a 12v socket allows me to disconnect the pump when I take the tank out of the cupboard. I can then unscrew the top, withdraw the pump and place it in a cup or a dish to catch any water in the pump itself. If the pump did not have a socket I would need to make sure the wire was long enough to move the tank out of the cupboard and extract it from the tank. In a nushell, a socket means less wire needed, not essential but tidier and convenient.

pondering

Post by pondering »

Thanks AngeloEvs, I understand now about the socket and that does seem a good idea. My pump didn't have a socket but inline heat shrink bullet connectors, that would (I think ?) achieve the same thing. I'm putting two 10 ltr tanks in the rear 'locker', so I hope all I'll need to do is swap the screw cap with the pump between the tanks when one is empty. I opted for small tanks for ease of carrying !

I removed the old tank today (cussed job); the tank gauge said it was empty but it was full ! ! ! So I've been carrying the weight of another person about since getting the van in Feb; perhaps 'we'll' race along now :lol: There's not as much space under the seat as I'd hoped because the tank was actually a wedge rather than an oblong; but enough I hope for the Propex Heatsource that will be going in there next week.

I unscrewed the metal retaining straps and bent them back, so I may just bend them straight again as they seem to help hold/pull in the front seat panel. The outside filler cap is very stiff so you're probably right about the seal; but I think I'll need to research/think about some inside 'bung', just in case !
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Doh! I should have had a quick look before replying as you are correct, after lifting the tank out, the straps are left in place to support the front seat panel. It was the larger hole used for the tank overflow pipe that I sealed with a small section of fibre glass mat and resin. I use the space under the seat for my jack, mains hook up cables, oil top up funnel, TV aerial, etc, it is quite useful.