How to connect a kitchen unit - gas/fridge & sink/pump

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SassaG
80-90 Mem No: 0

How to connect a kitchen unit - gas/fridge & sink/pump

Post by SassaG »

Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm a newbie to the forum. I've seen a van I think is worth looking at but it's on the top end of my rather paltry budget and has a kitchen unit installed but apparently not connected. I'm hoping some kind soul will be able to tell me how easy it would be to do myself or how much approx it would cost me to have it done (and by whom)? I'm in East Hants but obviously haven't even looked at the van yet...but I want to be as clued up as possible before I go and my desire to own a van overtakes all logic! The high top also has superficial damage..but having repaired fibreglass dinghies I am presuming I can sort that. Any ideas/advice gratefully received!
https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-mo ... 1293978409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (photo 5)

This was owners reply to my asking her to clarify:
Hi Sarah,
Yes that's right. It's firmly installed but water tank and pump are not yet fitted for sink and gas installation is not yet done for the fridge and cooker.
Let me know if you'd like to come and see it.
Thanks,
Amelia.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: How to connect a kitchen unit - gas/fridge & sink/pump

Post by RogerT »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Looks like a nice van, and if there’s evidence the seller can show you for the bodywork then all the better.

Regarding your question, have a look at this - installation instructions for a fridge...

http://www.club80-90.co.uk/pages/downlo ... xRM122.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The key bit is, for me, cutting holes in the side of the van. At the very least you need a hole for the flue, and may also need two large vent holes to take warm air from the back of the fridge, unless you can put vents in the kitchen unit as shown in the installation instructions.

Doing the gas plumbing - wouldn’t faze me as I’ve done it before, but with gas and electric and flames in close proximity, weeelll, you can imagine how that might end. But we all start somewhere, if you’re careful, practice first, and get it tested by a caravan service place, you should be fine. Or you can pay someone to do it...

Pretty van tho, to my untutored eye (tho I only have eyes for my own). Oh, and if there’s any sign of water leaks inside the roof of the van (not inside the hightop) then that could be a horror story.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Don't know what you know about these vans but defo had a really good rummage and have a good poke around for rust. There's plenty on here about rust hot-spots so do a little homework & you should be fine.
If the van is solid then it looks well priced & I'd worry about gas/water connections at a later date. Prioritise getting a solid van first!
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

SassaG

Post by SassaG »

Yes, solid van priority. I've been trying to memorise all the advice on the forum on what to check when buying a van and will go equipped with a mat, torch, magnet and fold up ladder steps and try to convince myself I know what I'm doing lol :lol:

Thanks so much...scary times as it's one hell of an investment for me!

SassaG

Post by SassaG »

Thanks so much RogerT. Such good advice. I have emailed vwsdubworks in Petersfield which is right on my doorstep to ask if they could do it but having read the doc link you sent me I think that it could be done myself as I have a friend who is a gas engineer and he is pretty good with electrics too...exciting times - my ex and I used to have a high top joker in the early 2000's which was sold when we split and I've been hankering after a van for myself ever since but raising my kids and paying rent has had to take preference until now. Main priority is a mechanically sound van without rot as I'm a lady in her early 50's and I don't have the knowledge or tools to deal with a restoration nor something that's going to breakdown constantly and cost me a fortune in repairs! Hopefully the van will still be for sale tomorrow as I do want to speak to the vw garage first to get an idea of cost if I need to go down that path
My daughter sailed competitively as a teenager so I have experience with fibreglass repairs but yes, will definitely be checking for leaks as it's hard to see damage to hightop from photos.

Crossing fingers and dizzy with excitement now that the dream can become reality!

Thanks again, your help is very apprecited.

Sarah

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

:ok
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.