Recommend bike racks

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jacko1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Recommend bike racks

Post by jacko1967 »

Hi I am wanting to get a bike rack for two bikes for the summer . My van already has the updated struts on the tail gate for a fammia rack .But was looking at a tow ball mounted one ,then it’s not on the van all the time .anybody got one ? Can offer advice ? Lots of different makes on the market .any pros n cons of the two types.
Cheers Danny .

rockthebus
80-90 Mem No: 13518

Re: Recommend bike racks

Post by rockthebus »

jacko1967 wrote:Hi I am wanting to get a bike rack for two bikes for the summer . My van already has the updated struts on the tail gate for a fammia rack .But was looking at a tow ball mounted one ,then it’s not on the van all the time .anybody got one ? Can offer advice ? Lots of different makes on the market .any pros n cons of the two types.
Cheers Danny .
I've got a thule one which pivots down to open tailgate. Love it. Locks but big to store and heavy to lift on and off. Woyld buy again though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
1990 Atlantic 2.1 SS
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

I have the Fiamma bike rack for my van.

As you probably know, the rack lifts with the tailgate very effectively (without bikes loaded obviously :) ). I have recently renewed the gas struts though. So I pretty much leave it on all year round - only removing it to clean the van or when we go on longer camping trips without the bikes. It only takes about five minutes to remove (two bolts at the base of the tailgate) and similar time to put back on.

Loading the bikes is easy and secure. We have the third rail so we can carry three bikes (our son's fourth bike goes in the van - but he is only five so not much hassle).

My point of reference is older style strapped to the rear racks on cars - which meant no rear access, not that secure (going at speed over an 'invisible' speed hump at a ferry terminal did not help ;) ) and needing a lighting board too. So, in comparison, the Fiamma really is very good.

Mike

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Has a fiamma and hated it, non stop squeaking on the tailgate and rubbed through the paint. Much higher to lift the bikes and poor rear view.

opening the tailgate with bike on is not realistic, I also have a LPG filler back there so even more problems for me.

I now have a Thule as said above, it hinges, great bit of kit easy to put on and off in seconds.

when you are camping the Thule makes a great place to rest stuff too.

ImageP1010784 by Paul_Barr, on Flickr
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

jacko1967

Post by jacko1967 »

Hi all thanks for your replies all note cheers

ginja_ninja
80-90 Mem No: 12182

Post by ginja_ninja »

Hi,

Probably a bit late now, but i have one of these, and its brilliant - much cheaper than the Thule version
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... C4ure5HXEB
I alos found a discount voucher for the site that gave me another 20% off. :D

Cheers
I now have a 3rd child; more expensive and demanding than the other 2!
'90 Westy California