Insulation

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TheBeaver
80-90 Mem No: 0

Insulation

Post by TheBeaver »

I am in the process of stripping the inside of our Caravelle and replacing it with a Reimo camper interior. I am wondering what to replace the original floor insulation with, and am also looking for ideas on what to fill the side panels with (if anything at all)?

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Re: Insulation

Post by Jonnyb416 »

For the sides I used rock wool type insulation but wrapped in plastic and taped up to stop it attracting condensation and soaking up moisture. Done me good so far but I only really camp April to October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

TheBeaver
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by TheBeaver »

Thanks, we are only fair-weather campers too (well at least so far) but it just seemed like now that everything is stripped back that I should do something :D

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

For the floor put strips of polystyrene in the grooves then plywood over the area, doesn't have to be thick plywood or screwed down. If there is any surface rust treat that first.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

I did my Caravelle last year, the original floor was beyond rescue and seemed to be holding water.

Anyway, I bought this sound deadening https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/do ... t-hex-roll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then bought some 7mm foil backed adhesive foam insultaion in a roll. The abive place sells it but I bought mine off ebay as it was slightly cheaper at the time.

Both products are a doddle to cut and fit, also made a big improvement on noise reduction and insulation.

For the floor I used the same products but I've also put down 9mm ply and carpet.

When I converted my panel van I used flash band and foil insulation from wickes. It worked pretty well but I think what I have now is better.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire