Westfalia dilemma

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kermit Westy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Westfalia dilemma

Post by Kermit Westy »

:? :? Hi,

I would welcome any thoughts on my dilemma. I own a 1981 Westfalia camper with its original 1.6 Aircooled engine. I have owned the van for more than 10years and in that time we have travelled the breadth of the country, albeit slowly, with very few issues. I am now at the point where I would like to go further and faster - including mainland Europe. I don’t know whether to spend money on the Westy, including a possible engine upgrade of some sorts, if feasible, or to bite the bullet and sell my old pal. The van is very original, it hasn’t been restored, the original fridge and hob works and the underneath of the van is solid and has never been welded. I’d welcome peoples thoughts. Thanks

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Re: Westfalia dilemma

Post by lodgey62 »

Why not just carry on driving within it's parameters? Only get a pram full of kids rushing!
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Sounds like a decent van......... so why not put a 2.0 litre CU engine in it. Others can advise what other changes are needed, I just remember my dads 1600 when they first came out and how it struggled on long hills. The extra 20hp should be noticeable.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If its got the 1600 CT engine its going to need a brake servo upgrade aswell as the engine and gearbox. I'm surprised the Westfalia was produced with the 1600 Aircooled, I thought they all had the 2 litre CU engine.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Kermit Westy

Post by Kermit Westy »

Many thanks for your thoughts. The main issue is the power or lack of it of the 1.6 Aircooled. It will literally run all day at a steady 50mph but getting it their takes patience and long hills do impact journey times. If replacing with a 2l Aircooled is a realistic option I may look at that.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The 2 ltr air cooled is a thirsty beast , if you are going to do a lot of miles maybe a diesel engine upgrade would be a better option. The 2 ltr Aircooled conversion would be easier but even that would involve taking out the dashboard to upgrade to a brake servo pedal cluster set up. Its a lot to think about but if your westy is solid upgrading by turning it into a diesel van could also increase its value and you would have a decent heater system aswell. It may be easier to sell it and look at buying a later model westy, the later interiors are more modern and most of the later models came with power steering as standard.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Kermit Westy

Post by Kermit Westy »

The Westy still returns 25mpg, which I believe is what was always expected when new?
Last edited by Kermit Westy on 20 Mar 2018, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

The westy was indeed available in the 1584 cc CT engine version. :shock: :shock:

From 81 all CT's had servo brake assistance.

25 mpg is right, I return 28 mpg on a run (Tintop).

The CT engine is effectively de-tuned as standard, and has the advantage of having the CF crank bearing dimensions, but remaining 'beetle' sized

various upgrades can be done without destroying the fuel economy.... :)

I am currently looking at 2 upgrades:

1st step, top end rebuild using a US sourced 1700 cc thick wall cylinder and piston kit, with machined and uprated valve diameter '500' cylinder heads.
about $ 800 plus tax and shipping.

This, with a new electronic distributor and the 34/4 Solex carb set up correctly, will give at least 10bhp more, usefully at the bottom of 4th gear..

With no loss of reliability..

2nd step.. (this is the next project).. take step 1, but convert to a 'stroker' engine. The idea is to use a CT block, but modify it to take the early 2.1 water cooled crank, thus increasing the throw, a deeper camshaft, then using porsche 356 con rods and offset 'A' pin pistons
about € 800 for parts.

A stroker engine gives greater torque.

The book speed for the CT is max 103 kph, but I get up to about 120 kph before running out of gearbox.

The 1970 cc CJ/CU carburated engine is a thirsty beast, for 20bhp extra power, and they are few and far between..bear in mind you would need to factor in the cost of a full overhaul. purchase and overhaul from (say) 2000€

Oh.. and if you really want to dream on.. :roll:

I should look at the Skoda favorit single point FI motor I have in stock..with loom and immobiliser and note that it was a special 'bolt in place' kit to allow the Solex size carburettor to be replaced for export within the EU..
I would hope to be looking at 30 mpg @ 65 bhp.... :wink:

I have the CT parts in stock, and so will wait 'till the weather warms..

Hope this gives you some ideas..

Aircooled Bliss..... 8)

Cordialement

:ok