2.1 Auto Leisuredrive High Top With Aft Locker

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

2.1 Auto Leisuredrive High Top With Aft Locker

Post by maxstu »

Any more owners out there with this configuration? Very handy rear (lockable) locker....just need to refit stainless steel ladder. So much storage fore and aft with this layout. But no upper bunk.

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive High Top With Aft Locker

Post by Mr Bean »

Well I have that shape Leisure Drive high top but without the additional moulding. I used to keep my leveling (Fridge) wedges etc up there but am getting a bit cronky now and am in fear of falling while load/unloading it and am looking for an alternative use. Have to be careful though as one wouldn't want too much weight so high up. Is it a proprietary item or do you think someone made it?
Cheers
CS
E D I T: There only being Her Ladyship and I now we also have done away with the bunk bed. We have a cupboard over the front seats where anything to do with cooking and cleaning goes and a similar space over the rear where we keep bedding etc. Having a three quarter bed allows virtually full length cupboards down the side. When touring we keep the bed made and the rear seat erected. It is more convenient than stowing and making it each time.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Hi CS,
compared with my old pop top this version doesnt feel as sure footed. Reminds me of my old Range Rover. Catches side winds on motorways. But used to it now and automatically compensate without any trouble.
As you say, even though masses of storage about, only light weight equipment gets stored in locker. Two folding chairs and a removeable awning/sunscreen stays put.
Moulded with Leisuredrive name. So l guess part of the camper conversion. Its waterproof and lined with dark grey camper wall covering. And key lockable.
we're plain lazy. :ok keep the bed made up all the time and eat, drink read etc with our backs against cabinets and viewing through sliding door and rear windows
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Another leisuredrive owner here - ours has same top but without locker, just a aluminium boat style rail around 'luggage' area.
Although top bunk present it will be used for storage once interior is rebuilt. Going to have to get clever with storage as we have a full width bed.

It's a bit flighty in high winds as we definitely found out last week driving back from Northumberland in the snow and wind but you quickly adapt. Hoping it may slightly improve with the 205/70/15's that are waiting to go on and maybe a front spoiler if I can get/afford one once paintwork sorted.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Hi Ash
that reminds me. Our previous van (poptop 1.9) was shod with Merc alloys and 195/60-15 (iirc?) Maxxis Matador truck style tyres. They gave excellent handling and grip. And slow wear rate with no punctures in 25k and four years' of spirited driving. Still had overall 4mm left when sold to next owner. I went for these as my spare was removed for LPG tank in well. Highly recommended
MaxStu

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes that grey covering on the walls and High top is about the only thing I left in place when I stripped and rebuilt mine. Maybe I could have been a bit more adventurous but it did clean up OK. When I re-skinned the lower section of the side door I found an incredibly corroded giant pair of upholstery shears presumably left by a Leisure Drive upholsterer when the knocking off bell rang one Friday.

I am not very prissey about a bit of battering from side wind having rode a big old solo Beeza with a full dustbin fairing for donkeys years but I got to say that I do find a constant headwind a bit wearing. But having a five speed box helps as I can drop down to fourth if a headwind and slope conspire to slow me down. Having said that a tailwind makes it really fly and reduces the wind noise - I need new rubbers here and there :roll: One or two of my previous vans, all home conversions, had spates water getting in but the fixed high top on this is absolutely water tight. So cosy tucked up if the weather turns bad. :D

Although having both stood peering out of the little windows on night surrounded by lightning halfway up a mountain in France with the van fluorescent tubes lighting up while switched of and our hair standing on end we only worked out next morning that the safety provided by being inside the van was completely nulified by the fact that the high top is fibreglass :shock: We had wanted to ride on the vernacular :oops: railway but all the overhead cable got destroyed by the lightning.

Got to say I would hate to lose the old bus now after circa ten years and some cracking tripe to Europe.

Cheers
CS
88 High top 2.1 WBX

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

ash1293 wrote:Another leisuredrive owner here - ours has same top but without locker, just a aluminium boat style rail around 'luggage' area.
Although top bunk present it will be used for storage once interior is rebuilt. Going to have to get clever with storage as we have a full width bed.

It's a bit flighty in high winds as we definitely found out last week driving back from Northumberland in the snow and wind but you quickly adapt. Hoping it may slightly improve with the 205/70/15's that are waiting to go on and maybe a front spoiler if I can get/afford one once paintwork sorted.

Have the same leisuredrive roof, which is currently sat on my patio as I refurb the van in my garage.. looking to add the roof bunk so any pics/sketches of what you have would be really useful..!

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

100leelee wrote:
ash1293 wrote:Another leisuredrive owner here - ours has same top but without locker, just a aluminium boat style rail around 'luggage' area.

Have the same leisuredrive roof, which is currently sat on my patio as I refurb the van in my garage.. looking to add the roof bunk so any pics/sketches of what you have would be really useful..!

Assuming you removed it from the/a van how was it retained? I sometimes wonder if it is just stuck on and might need attending to after siting on my van possibly since 1988. Any info would be helpful.
Cheers CS
88 High top 2.1 WBX

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

100leelee wrote: Have the same leisuredrive roof, which is currently sat on my patio as I refurb the van in my garage.. looking to add the roof bunk so any pics/sketches of what you have would be really useful..!

Don't know if these help at all? Basically above the van is boarded out - then a seprate pull out board simply slides forwad on the two aluminium angles. Theres a foam mattress pad that sits on top, second section fits in front section when not in use.

Citezen Smith -
I don't know for certain but I've heard some fibreglass tops are just bonded - I can't see any visible fixings on mine but then again I haven't removed any of the lining to investigate. I do know that after 28 years ours need the gutter edge resealing so I'm going to give it a go with one of those angled sealant nozzles so I can get a bead up behind the edge.

Maxstu -
I'd be interested to hear if the rear bottom edge of your hard top is sealed to the Van - ours doesn't seem to be. Wondered if tehre was some reason before I let loose with the polyurathane.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Sealed tightly front and back. Along sides it will flex a bit if pushed

MaxStu

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

ash1293 wrote:
100leelee wrote: Have the same leisuredrive roof, which is currently sat on my patio as I refurb the van in my garage.. looking to add the roof bunk so any pics/sketches of what you have would be really useful..!

Don't know if these help at all? Basically above the van is boarded out - then a seprate pull out board simply slides forwad on the two aluminium angles. Theres a foam mattress pad that sits on top, second section fits in front section when not in use.

Citezen Smith -
I don't know for certain but I've heard some fibreglass tops are just bonded - I can't see any visible fixings on mine but then again I haven't removed any of the lining to investigate. I do know that after 28 years ours need the gutter edge resealing so I'm going to give it a go with one of those angled sealant nozzles so I can get a bead up behind the edge.

Maxstu -
I'd be interested to hear if the rear bottom edge of your hard top is sealed to the Van - ours doesn't seem to be. Wondered if tehre was some reason before I let loose with the polyurathane.

Cheers. Photos help a lot..!

My roof was just bonded, I literally cut it off with a kitchen knife ( don't tell the oh ). Roof and gutters in ok condition, the front has surface rust, but will be ok without major repair, the sides and rear are like new.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

100leelee wrote:Roof and gutters in ok condition, the front has surface rust, but will be ok without major repair, the sides and rear are like new.

You are so so lucky.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Or was I just really really unlucky?ImageImage

We had to laugh, it was laugh or cry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

RogerT wrote:Or was I just really really unlucky?ImageImage

We had to laugh, it was laugh or cry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was the first time i have ever found less rot than expected..!
Other areas have more than made up for it :roll: