Compressor fridge and Zig CF8

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Re: Compressor fridge and Zig CF8

Post by hightop ratty »

We swear by our Waeco CR50 (running off a 150w fixed solar panel) - after putting up with a rubbish 12v cool box that killed a few leisure batteries.
Was about £500 to have it fitted properly by a caravan repair place - but well worth it (we use it as an overflow fridge for the house all year round :-)
The solar also keeps the main battery charged when not in use :-)
The future is solar :-)

pondering
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by pondering »

Thanks LeeME3 for your comments; your install looks good !

I'm having (choosing?) to work within the confines of the Autohomes Kameo layout and with a very small battery box (under passenger seat) I can only fit a 60Ah LB; but I've opted for a Victron Super Cyle AGM because of it's apparent depth of discharge tolerance (300 times @100% DOD etc.,) and added a 50W FlexiSun monocrystaline panel (on long leads to move about/follow the sun !) to help tick things over... all theory yet, but fingers crossed. I've also opted for a Vitrifrigo 39i compressor fridge (to fit a shallow depth) with 240V upgrade; a bit smaller than the Waeco but needs less power 2.1amps. Easter intall ahead...
1987 Autohomes Kameo RHD

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

Good luck with the install, not heard of that fridge but i'll take a look as I have a couple other 'projects' on-going!

At that battery size every reduction in power draw you can eke out will help so that 2.1A is not to be sniffed at. I would expect the same issues to apply re cable length / thickness for that fridge as for the CR50; if in doubt, go for girth!!!

Movable panel is a good idea so long as you don't forget to keep moving it - i use one on my Bay and it works very well.

And just keep telling yourself...the more the sun shines the colder my beer gets...it's a motivating factor!
Last edited by LeeME3 on 29 Mar 2018, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

pondering wrote:...with a very small battery box (under passenger seat) I can only fit a 60Ah LB...

I had a similar issue so I just built an extra battery box behind the passenger seat (which also houses my on-board mains charger and 2000w inverter and functions as an extra seat when parked up!). Mine is maybe 18 inches square but if it just housed a second battery it could be quite a lot smaller. you can just see it in the picture circled in red.

When using multiple batts they should be as close to identical as possible so a second 60Ah LB would give you 120Ah...

1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.