MDF units on ebay

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

MDF units on ebay

Post by meggles »

Has anybody bought one of those MDF units off ebay? Around £300. I know they're MDF but apart from that does anybody know if they're any good? Pro's and con's comments welcome.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: MDF units on ebay

Post by Jim San »

I'd personally not want to use MDF, it's main attraction is the low price but it's heavy and unless its thick, it doesn't hold a screw as well as alternatives.
It can absorb moisture but that can be combatted by a decent sealant.

How much is the job going to cost on completion. £300 straight off is already a big hole on a projects budget - and you are still getting something someone else thinks fits your needs. It might be perfect but then again, £300 could buy some nice ultra light ply board and you could build exactly what you want.

Also, it depends on how long you want it to last.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks Jim. This should be my last big job on a van. If I get another it will have to be fit for purpose from day one. I'm getting too old now! I have to get it right first time
I would prefer a used interior from a van with a proper conversion but not having much luck at the right price. Don't like mdf but needs must!

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

meggles wrote:Thanks Jim. This should be my last big job on a van. If I get another it will have to be fit for purpose from day one. I'm getting too old now! I have to get it right first time
I would prefer a used interior from a van with a proper conversion but not having much luck at the right price. Don't like mdf but needs must!

Having similar thoughts..
There was a guy on eBay who claimed to do ply units..
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2520337334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No idea if they are any good, but by all accounts better than msg??

meggles

Post by meggles »

OK, plan 'c' . I may have the chance of a full Devon interior from a C reg pop top. Mines a high top. Would there be any problems fitting it? Thanks

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

100leelee wrote:
meggles wrote:Thanks Jim. This should be my last big job on a van. If I get another it will have to be fit for purpose from day one. I'm getting too old now! I have to get it right first time

Having similar thoughts..
There was a guy on eBay who claimed to do ply units..
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2520337334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No idea if they are any good, but by all accounts better than msg??

That is good quality board, about 3 r 4 times the price of MDF. Much better value for money, it also offers a high quality finish if sanded and coated nicely. We (at school) can get the edges shining like gloss - it takes a bit of elbow grease but it looks fab (there may very small cavities in the layers which become exposed aftr cutting - nothing serious, not weak and they are not deep).
Downside - BFP is pretty heavy stuff. I contemplated using it to make mine but routing out the inside to reduce the thickness and reduce the weight. Lengthy process and wasteful - other way would be to laminate thinner 6mm sheets together but the 2 birch outer layers glued together sticks out like a sore thumb.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Would still rather build my own. Partly down to the weight factor but equally due to the limited scope for modifications with MDF - or even chipboard. After four refits, I finally got the interior I needed and it didn't cost much at all - just battens and tongue & groove which is so easy to work with. Once you've made the main cooking/storage unit, the rest just follows. I don't have particularly good woodworking skills, but it came out fantastic and not one bit of space was wasted (another factor with self-assembly units). Depends what you want really. If you want a simple clinical look, it might work for you. If you want a cosy interior that is very much you, and unique, then its scratch build all the way. You can include hidden drawers, a pull-out worktop, loads of stuff.
Last edited by CovKid on 23 Oct 2017, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that Covkid. I had a go at a DIY job and I made a hash of it. The original set up was ok apart from the bed system (and the weetabix chipboard). I'm hoping for a full interior of a known conversion and work on that.