Replace roof canvas ... or not?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Peekay
80-90 Mem No: 0

Replace roof canvas ... or not?

Post by Peekay »

I've a 1987 T3 pop-top. It had a new roof canvas put in when we bought it ten years ago, but these days it's not waterproof. My question is: does it need replacing, or is there some product that can give it its weatherproofing back? It's in good condition otherwise: no tears, wears, etc. But we live in west Ireland, so it needs to be rainproof!

Any advice that can be offered will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Paul

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Replace roof canvas ... or not?

Post by captain Byrne »

Easy - Just google re-waterproof canvas, there's loads of info on what to buy & how to do it. 10 yrs isn't that long for a good quality canvas.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Which conversion do you have? If it's a westy and you still got the original canvas it will be knackered by now. I had mine replaced 6 years ago with a canvas from gunzl and mine does not let rain in.

Peekay

Post by Peekay »

Thanks for the tips, both.

Yes, it's a Westy, but it's not the original canvas; it's about ten years old.

Are there any brands of waterproofer that anyone would recommend?

Thanks again.

jacko1967

Post by jacko1967 »

Hi I use grangers from goout doors seems to work well but try your local camping shop for advice.

Peekay

Post by Peekay »

Many thanks all.

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

If you have a Westy or Reimo roof you could fit one of these for those rainy stormy nights.

http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25 ... rmal-wrap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

danmetallic wrote:If you have a Westy or Reimo roof you could fit one of these for those rainy stormy nights.
http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25 ... rmal-wrap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one of those for my Westy pop top. Absolutely brilliant. Keeps the van cooler in summer, warmer in winter, darker on early mornings and even a bit quieter. I was worried that it would flap against the canvas in the wind but I've used it on VERY wet and windy stormy nights and had no issues at all. Dead easy and quick to fit / remove.
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

LeeME3 wrote:
danmetallic wrote:If you have a Westy or Reimo roof you could fit one of these for those rainy stormy nights.

I have one of those for my Westy pop top. Absolutely brilliant. Keeps the van cooler in summer, warmer in winter, darker on early mornings and even a bit quieter. I was worried that it would flap against the canvas in the wind but I've used it on VERY wet and windy stormy nights and had no issues at all. Dead easy and quick to fit / remove.

Glad you're loving it :ok
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ