Fridge temperature

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Fridge temperature

Post by Karen&co »

Hello, We have used the fridge in our camper for the first time this weekend on a hook up but the internal temperature wasn't particularly cold. Planning ahead to going away and needing to keep things fresh/safe is there anything we can do to improve it?

Thank you in advance
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: Fridge temperature

Post by scottbott »

I usualy leave my fridge on hookup the night before I go away and my wife sticks some freezer blocks in as well, works a treat, remember to switch it to 12 volts when driving and switch over to mains when you get to your destination, we have had tomatoes freeze in the fridge before now so they can work very well considering how old they are
Nil carborundum illegitimi

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

A three way fridge? For max efficiency must be horizontal when parked ( a few degrees allowed). Unfortunately, these fridges as they get older lose efficiency and struggle to cool when ambient temps are high even when new. The temp inside my van was 37 degrees yesterday even though it was 24 degrees outside.

On hook up you may have had a lower voltage than 240v so might be worth comparing it on gas.

I got rid of mine back in 2007 because of the poor performance of absorption fridges and the need to park flat and level - I bought a 12v waeco compressor fridge, absolutely brilliant and the best solution for keeping things at 5 degrees or frozen.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

ours always runs most efficiently on gas, even when 40 degrees plus in the van
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I can't believe how god mine is (Well that has probably put the kibosh on it :roll: )
It came with the van ten or so years ago and looked like it had been in for a few years then. It is an Elecrolux three way and we gave it one of out very thorough refurbisments bringing it back to virtually new appearance and functionality.
We had intended to fit the one we took out of out previous van when we scrapped it and picked up the T25 but as it looked so good we kept it in and stashed the older one in the loft. Wonder if it still goes?
Our very first of several Electrolux three way failed after a couple of years and we couldn't get it re-gassed at the time.
If this one fails we might go for a compressor fridge but we are not really ECO Warriors and go hook up whenever possible and the gas works as good as the electric. . Although I should think I could find an Aircon engineer who does off grid work so to speak.

Well that's my angle on the three ways Electrolux fridges and yes that level issue is maybe my only gripe although how people can sleep on a sloping bed anyhow I cant think.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX